LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raanjkumar (Prop)     11 November 2012

Noise pollution

The school bell of school adjoining my bldg is very loud. Their loudspeakers system while addressing classes is also very loud and disturbing. The school exists since 40 years and no one bothered to raise objection so far.I have just shifted here since 1 year and it disturbs me.

Is there any law to restrict the decibals of a school bell & speaker system ?

Learning

1 Replies

Hemant Agarwal (ha21@rediffmail.com Mumbai : 9820174108)     11 November 2012

1.  In Mumbai the Deputy Commissioner of police (Operations), has issued prohibitory order under Section 33 of the Mumbai Police Act, to crub the noise limit to 45 decibles.  It is the mandatory duty of the Police to keep a watch using a "Decible (noise) meter".

2.  You can call up on the police emergency number 100 or the local police station and complain about any noise levels above 45 decibles, who will come and detect the noise level and if it is above the limit, the police are empowered to seize the noise equipments (loud speakers, ampli ....) and impose a fine of minimum 2500/-

3.  The Mumbai High Court has issued directions regarding the permissible noise limit for residential zones as a maximum of 45 db.

4.  If the Police do not act, then the remedy is to file a Writ Petition in the Mumbai High Court, to "permanently" stop such noise pollution, irrespective of the fact that the noise maker is a School or who-so-ever.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register