LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

u (CA)     12 February 2012

Neighbours noise nuisance

Is it legal to have a drumset in your house in a housing society ? The noise can really disturb people and make floors of neighbours living above vibrate and disturb a lot. Can I make an official police complaint against my neighbour for the drum set..or is there any other remedy to stop this nuisance ?


 8 Replies

Om Shanker Shrivastava (Environmental Lawyer)     12 February 2012

of curse u can

u (CA)     12 February 2012

But he doesn't play continuously..plays around 15-20 minutes after every 2 hours or so.

So its possible the noise might stop by the time the police arrives. But since the drum set is present in their house, then will the police validate my complain seeing the drums present, or do they only accept the complain if the noise is witnessed by them on thier arrival ?

Democratic Indian (n/a)     13 February 2012

I do not think there is any law that forbids possession of drum sets in house. Yes creating sound pollution and such nuisance is an offence. But remember that resorting to police complaints may spoil friendly and neighbhourly good relation for ever. After getting support from all other society members, try resolving the problem in amicable and polite manner. It will be best if members of the society are able to amicably resolve problems by themselves. Resorting to police complaints for such minor things should be last resort. These are just my personal opinions, rest is upto you to decide.

Alok Tholiya (self employed)     13 February 2012

  1.  try recording noise as an evidence.
  2.  gather soc members over a cup of tea and tell abt ur sufferings and get their sympatyh as well as support
  3. gather support of soc com as police listens to secretary and chairman 
  4.  request ur neighbour to make his room sound proof
  5. make ur windows / door sound proof think more creatively and last chance is police

Shantanu Wavhal (Worker)     13 February 2012

secretary and chairman should file complaint & not u personally.

make them do their job.


I agree with the above views.   Noise pollution is a serious matter and you have every right  to have a healthy living atmosphere.  Perhaps, before filing Police complaint, you may try to resolve the issue amicably with the neighbour and if he is adamant, then go ahead.

1 Like

Shantilal Pandya ( Advocate)     13 February 2012

simple answer is  both civil and  criminal  actions  would lie 

Hasmukh (executive Account)     28 April 2012

what will do if neighbours listening giving guidline, but no one ready to part in legal matters, or who will go to say him for nuisanse behaviours.

because i am also facing some nuisanse from one of my neighbour lady. as old member of apartment meanse behaves like DADA.

no society secratary at our society or no associations.. what to do for association re open ?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query