Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

DC (Engg)     22 February 2010

Need clarity on Gift deed

Hi,

I am a Christian from Kerala. I have 2 brothers and my father passed away in 1992 (natural death due to old age).

My father had gifted me a portion of his property in Kerala by a registered Gift deed done before a sub-registrar in 1987. Now 22 years down the line, my brothers are saying that the gift deed was executed by unduly influencing my father. Do they have a valid point especially considering the fact that all the Gift deed documents are correct and it has passed such a long duration now ? What is the maximum duration by which an objection can be filed to a Gift deed ?

Also my father did not leave any will and hence am I eligible for a share of the remaining portion of the property  ?

Thanks,

DC

Learning

1 Replies

R.R. KRISHNAA (Legal Manager)     22 February 2010

Long delay denies relief to your brothers.  You can very well defend your brothers allegations on the ground of delay of 22 yrs.

Certainly you have right over the other property of your father unless there is a express provision in the gift deed that you are not entitled for any other property other than what is gifted.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register