LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ranjan   02 October 2016

My house owner is not allowing my guests to my rented house

Rental agreement on 15th Nov 2014 for 11 months. 
On Nov 2015 agreement extended for another 11 months with 5% rent increase.

I'm a tenant in Bangalore(Karnataka), along with my wife and mother(65 years of age) staying in 3 BHK rented house.

My house Owner is making problems while my guests visits my house.  Once my father in law and mother in law visited our house, my house owner made bad sense statement for excess water usage. Due to this they are hesitant to visit our house again. It happened my own brother and his family visit too.

In our agreement, following statements which related to this - 
1) As on the date of agreement there shall be THREE persons occupying  the premises.  No additional member be allowed to reside in the demised premises without the written permission of the owner. 
2) The tenant shall use the premises only for residential purpose and shall not use any commercial/unlawful purposes. And shall not sublet/under-lease or part the possession to anybody without consent of the owner. The tenant shall not allow any outsider or Street vendors inside the compound/premises.

Still these statements are not talking about guests, but is it enough to control my guests who visits my rented house? Guests are integral part of our life and is our constitutional law will support my relationship with my guests or it will restrict them to visit our house?

Now a days,  my owner is locking the  water pump electric cabinet and hence we cannot switch ON the water pump. Only owner will operate the water pump. 
Since our agreement is going to end by this month, he might not willing to extend our agreement. Due to personal reasons, I want to stay in the same house for another 9-10 months. 
Last month he asked(verbally) me for extra money for maintenance purpose, but as per agreement, maintaince cost also includes in rent. So, I denied his request. 

I am promt in paying rent and I never default paying rent/electricity/water bills till now.

1) Am I legally eligible to continue for another 10 months? 
2) If house owner is cutting electricity/water, what needs to do from my end? 
(a) at agreement time 
(b) agreement lapsed time

3) After one month, the extended rent agreement ends(I was staying from last 2 years) and is the owner can evict me from the house? Or I have right to stay there even after agreement ends? I have my mother with me she is 65 years old.

I was struggling a lot with this house owner, but all my previous 3 owners are good humans.

Thanks,
Ranjan

Learning

4 Replies

arpit shukla (,)     02 October 2016

Guest are part of your family so your home owner can't stop them to enter . As your lease deed is expiring and owner is not ready to renew then you do not have any choice except vacating the same amicably. As a tenant you can't stay without owner permission otherwise he has right to file suit against you. If he wish he can get deduct water /electricity by not paying bill and get it cut, for restoration also you need to have legal fight , better you shift to another premises to enjoy stressful life.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     04 October 2016

I agree with Mr. Arpit Shukla. Anyway if you want to continue for one more year only you may read the following.

Landlords are generally wary of tenants sub-letting their premises to earn extra income. However guests are normal part of life and they must be allowed to visit you. If any guests visit you in future you inform the landlord in writing about it and the number of days they are likely to stay. You need not wait for his reply. If he objects, explain the matter to him. Also tell him that you are prepared to pay additional (reasonable) amount for water and electricity. I think the power supply to your residence would be metered and you may be paying as per the bill. Is there any common electricity consumption?

If the landlord does not renew the L/L you will have to vacate. But that is the law. Eviction is not that easy either.

Ranjan   04 October 2016

Thank you for the reply!

Is there any common electricity consumption?

>> Electricity is not common, My house has separate meeter 

>> Water meter is comman for (owner house + 2 tenant hosue). 

Every month I pay { electricity bill + 1/3rd of water bill}

If the landlord does not renew the L/L you will have to vacate. But that is the law. Eviction is not that easy either.

>> Does that means, I need to vacate immediately like with in 1 month? My new house(i purchased) will be getting ready with in a year of time. So, my wish is not to vacate will my new home posession.

There is a clause in the agreement, while vacating the house, I need to pay the 1 month rent as painting/cleaning charge. That means around 15k, I need to give to the house owner even if my wish is to continue with the house!

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     04 October 2016

If the landlord insists that  you  vacate and if you are a law abiding citizen you have to vacate. But if you drag your feet and stay put, the option available to the landlord is to go to court. If he goes to court one year will be too short a period to get you evicted by court order. If your landlord is not a law abiding citizen he can engage goondas. But he will also do a cost-benefit analysis.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register