Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

deepika (student)     04 April 2015

Moot problem

please help me out of moot problem

panchamuki river starts in kerala, flows through it for 160kms and crosses tamilnadu, runs through it for 285kms and empties into the bay of bengal. the state of kerala decided to build a large dam across the river at irungnalakuda. the project has already started and is awaiting clearance from central water commisssion, ministry of environment and forest and ministry of welfare. tribal people of five villages living on the banks of the river in the state of tamilnadu, fearing the consequences, formed an agitation committee under the "tribal protestforum" and filed a case against the state of kerala in the Supreme court challenging the dam project on the following grounds.

1. the dam project will cause ecological imbalance and violates their right to environment.

2. their livelihood is affected.

3. they will be displaced since the dam project will submerge their villages.

4. their place of worship will be destroyed and hence the project is violative of their religious right.

5. kerala's action is violative of the Forest Rights Act.

I HAVE TO APPEAR FOR THE RESPONDENT- THE STATE OF KERALA.

I HAVE MANY DOUBTS WITH THIS PROBLEM:

1.WHETHER A STATE CAN BUILD A DAM WITHOUT THE PERMISSION OF THE CENTRAL GOVERNMENT.

2. IS THERE ANY CASE LAW TO BE CITED FOR THIS MOOT PROBLEM

Learning

1 Replies

Jatin Mittal (Corporate Lawyer)     06 April 2015

Hi Deepika

Refer the case of Narmada Bachao Andolan, it had the similar issues arising. You will further get other cases cited in that judgment. For any clarifications, write to me at mittaljets@gmail.com.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register