LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
The Indian Constitution Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ANAND VENUGOPAL   15 April 2022

Money spent on my adult son

My son jumped college in feb 2015 and promised to work hard. He was 23 then. with his laziness and the feeling that dad will provide for everything, he got sacked from 3 jobs. I got him to move separately 2021 august so he can become responsible. He has come by a lot of money through ancestral property through his deceased mother's side. new found arrogance has come in his behaviour and he has repeatedly said he has cut me out of his life. 

In the time he was at my place, he has squandered away all what he earned (no savings at all, though i kept telling him to save his money) and was averaging 35000 per month expenses which i was paying.. Am i right to ask him to payback 7 years of expenses at 35000 a month? I have evidence of the money i spent on him via my bank statements for which he was handling the card since i am a ship captain and away most of the time


 4 Replies

Divya Vijayan   15 April 2022

According to section 125 of CrPC, natural father and mother and adoptive father and mother are entitled to claim maintenance from their children of they are unable to maintain themselves. Although you cannot claim money from your son if it's for educational purposes as held by the Hon’ble Judges of the Bombay High Court, that parents are obligated to educate their child and spend money on his/her education as per their capacity.

Kindly refer the below mentioned link:-


ANAND VENUGOPAL   15 April 2022

Good day, Madam. As i mentioned earlier, my son jumped college in 2015 february of his own free will and promised to make up for it with hard work which sadly never happened. So, i think the question of education stops in 2015 february

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     16 April 2022

One cannot cure cancer with aspirin, and in such complicated cases, seeking online advice is not proper.  Arrange a meeting with the help of elders/family friends or relatives, discuss across the table, and get a settlement and live peacefully forever.  Division of property may not always mean breaking of relationships.  At least, you can protect yourself by the misdeeds of the son from outsiders.

P. Venu (Advocate)     16 April 2022

A civil suit could be filed. But there cannot be any certainity as to outcome.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query