LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

seno singh (freelancer)     18 November 2016

Mobile theft - protocols to follow with the police ?

Hello experts,

My wifes mobile was stolen from her in a bus 1 month back. I went to the nearest police station with a letter addressed to the Inspector of police with particulars mentioned below

  1. Date and time of incident
  2. Descriptttion of the incident
  3. IMEI, Color, Brand, Cost of the mobile
  4. Two months post paid bill for the number used in that mobile

The Writer in the Crime department took the letter with the supportings and asked me to after 1 week. I asked for acknowledgement and he said first he has to check with Airtel whether what i have mentioned are facts without which he will not give acknowledgement


Now its been a month of follow up, they ask me to come in the morning, evening, night ...etc and they simply postpone without giving the CSR


Now can you please give your views on what i have done and what i should have done ?


1. Should i have still inisited for an acknowledgement for giving the written letter ?

2. Whats the maximum timeframe within which the CSR should be given for such complaints ?

3. Is it possible for me to ask them to courier the CSR to my home since i have been following up with them for a month now in person ?


In general whats the protocol for such an incident ?


 3 Replies

GANDHI MOHAN BHARATI (Pensioner)     19 November 2016

1. Report Loss to the Service Provider.

2. If you want a SIM with the same number, you have to get, a copy of FIR.

Samarpan (M)99958670740 (Free legal advice and legal aid cell)     19 November 2016

In such cases, why people report to the police is to obviate any future hassles if your mobile would land up with any criminal and anti-social element and they use it for nefarious activities.  In these days, most of the crime detection depended upon the trace of mobile  calls of the offender by the sim or handset.  So, I can understand your anxiety.  In those missing reports, generally, immediately police give acknowledgement by giving diary No.  In your case, it has not happened.  So, what you should do is to prepare a new complaint and also in that complaint you mention that you lodged the complaint in person in so and so police station and this time send it by speed post and get tracking report on line and keeep that record with you for avoiding any future problems.

1 Like

Shobhit Chauhan (Founder/President)     17 January 2017

You please draft another complainant quoting the previous complaint. You are entitled to receive diary number for every letter you give. Whether it is factual or not is a matter of further enquiry and you can not be denied an acknowledgement just for this reason. If this time also you are not given an acknowledgement, I suggest you to write to the area DCP/SP and the Commissioner of Police of the concerned area. 

If its in Delhi, kinldy let me know the PS Name - will try to help you. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register