Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rajesh (Manager)     05 September 2011

Mental harrassment by my wife

Hi All,

I have been married since one and a half year now. The girl i am married with is the one i was going around with. We were very happy before our marriage but after marriage my life has changed drastically. We don't have a kid yet as i don't want to plan one due to our disturbances. I am not at all happy with my wife and her attitude. She is very short tempered and goes wild at times. Some instances were she started banging her head on the wall, threatening me that she will commit suicide and things. I have never beaten her or physically abused her. I just want to know if i want to separate from her, what all things can go against me. I know all the laws are meant for women. But i am really tired of my marriage life. We have tried to talk over things in a lot of cases but of no worth. Any advice would be appreciable from a legal point of view. I don't want to ruin the rest of my life. 

Thanks

Learning

4 Replies

Gundlapallis (Advocate)     06 September 2011

First of all your notion that 'all laws are meant for women' is wrong.  You can seek divorce on the ground of mental torture.

A threat to commit suicide by the wife amounts to infliction of mental cruelty on the husband but it should not be uttered in a domestic tiff; Pushpa Rani v. Vijay Pal Singh , AIR 1994 All 220.

Rajesh (Manager)     07 September 2011

Hi Sir,

Thanks a lot for your precious time and advice. I would like to know if i claim divorce on the basis of mental torture that is she threatining me to commit suicide, do i need to show some evidences. I mean some proof that she tried to do so, or the word of mouth is enough. Also would like to know, if i go for a divorce keeping my initial question in mind, what all steps can be taken by her family as her brother has a strong influence.

Thank You
Rajesh

Gundlapallis (Advocate)     08 September 2011

If you are keen on divorce its better you engage an advocate and talk with him.  Here on this forum we can give you a broad direction, we cannot get into details and discuss.  Hope you understand. 

SANJAY KUMAR AGRAWAL (SELF EMPLOYED)     10 September 2011

Report the matter to National Commission for Woman online to get your complaint recorded and if you so desire you and your wife can seek counselling from the Counsellers at National Commission for Woman on how both of you can lead a peaceful life. Even though your wife harasses you physically or mentally, you donot harass her in any way - even by speaking harsh words. Till you seek legal help or even after that, manage the affairs tactfully with patience and ensure that whatever legal remedy is availed by you, that ensures welfare of both. I again say when each of you donot have a child and legal and social remedy available to settle & resolve the problem, why to take law in your own hand. This is foolish. In such situations, always remain calm & cool & increase your capacity to bear the pains & pangs by doing pranayam, meditation and yoga and prayers for welfare of all including your wife.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register