Mental abuse by boyfriend.

A friend of mine is facing serious issues with her mental health. Her boyfriend has been abusing her since long and now giving life threats to her and her family just because she doesn't want to be with him anymore.

Hello, It is her will and wishes and no one can pressurise her. Your friend can approach the local police station and file a complaint against him for threatening.

Your friends situation is critical. She’s not just facing mental harassment from her boyfriend but also getting death threats for her and her family. However, there’s still time to get out this scenario and put an end to this once and for all. There are two legal provisions that you should be aware of before lending a helping hand to your friend, these are – Section 294 (IPC) and Section 506 (IPC). These laws would help you to get your friend out of these type of situations if you’re willing to proceed through legal procedures. 1.) Section 294 in general not only deals with torture (mental or physical) but also with acts that a person does to annoy another person. Section 294 Indian Penal Code (IPC) states that – “If a person does an obscene act in public, recites or utters obscene words to annoy and torture a person in public, is punishable under the law. The offender would be booked under section 294 of the Indian Penal Code and would be liable for an imprisonment up to three years or with a fine or both.” 2.) Section 506 of Indian Penal Code (IPC) 1860 states – “Whoever commits, the offence of criminal intimidation shall be punished with imprisonment of either descripttion for a term which may extend to two years, or with fine, or with both” Section 506 further concludes that if the threat is to cause death or grievous hurt, or even to cause the destruction of any property by fire, or to cause an offence punishable with death or [imprisonment for life], or with imprisonment for a term which may extend to 7 years, and if the threat is to impute, unchastity to a woman, then the person shall be punished with imprisonment of either descripttion for a term which may extend to 7 years, or with fine, or with both. Without any delay, it is necessary for you or your friend to report these threats to Police, in order to prevent any sort of mishappening in future. However, if you wish to proceed without moving her matter before the court, then you may take your friend to someone (a counsellor or a person she feels comfortable with) and counsel her for a while, such that she gets a big and clear comfortable with) such that she gets a picture of what steps she needs to take. This method would save both your time and money, and the dispute would be resolved within family/friend’s.

Ask your friend to move to local police station and inform them about the issues that she is facing. The local police either can call to her boy friend and ask him to stop this kind of harassment in future or the police can file FIR based on the nature of the harassment. Do these first then will let you know the next steps.



Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum



Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query
Forensics & Evidence     |    x