LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

samuel (data entry operator)     28 December 2019

Maintenance for mother in law

My mother in law is not working separated from her husband for more than 30 years who has remarried with children and has no contact with my mother in law. Her father used to meet her expense till his death. She has 2 sisters and one brother. My mother in law is now living in one of her brother's house. Her brother is giving her money for her expense. Her brother is now ill. My wife is not working and has no income. Now they are telling my wife to bring her mother to my house and pay for her expense. I dont have a proper job or income. The brother and sisters of my mother in law are well off. Now if they stop sending her money and force her out of their house is it possible to challenge them legally.


 3 Replies

jaspreet singh   30 December 2019

no. but still she can claimmaintainance from his husband if the divorce was not by mutual consent.

samuel (data entry operator)     17 June 2020

My fathe-in-law is separated from my mother-in-law for several years and married to another woman without divorcing my mother-in--law. He now lives in poverty. he cannot give any money to my mother-in-law who is sick and without any job or pension.. The father of my mother-in-law did not give her an equal share in property. Most of the property was given to one of her brother and sister by her father.. Her father has passed away. Her siblings ask me to sell my ancestor earned property and meet her expense. My wife is not working and does not have any property. According to law am I obliged to meet the expenses of my mother-in-law. What are her options according to law to get some money to meet her expense. Can she claim money from her siblings.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     11 September 2023

already discussed at



Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register