Criminal Trident Pack: IPC, CrPC and IEA by Sr. Adv. G.S Shukla and Adv. Raghav Arora
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

S. Kumar (Clerk)     02 March 2014

Limitation u/s 66a of it act, 2000

Dear Sir,
Please tell me the limitation for an offence made u/s 66A of Information Technology Act, 2000.
(Brief history of my case: my Brother in Law sent an email to 20 senior level officers of my Department against me (contents of the email was extreme defamatory and related to IPC 498a, DV etc.)

with regards,
S. Kumar


 7 Replies

Isaac Gabriel (Advocate)     02 March 2014

See the link

Attached File : 313883434 advisoryonsection cyber.pdf downloaded: 186 times

S. Kumar (Clerk)     03 March 2014

Dear Sir,

Thanks a lot for your kind reply. 

I just want to know, whether the above mentioned email is covered u/s 66A of IT Act, 2000 or not ?  If yes, Kindly clarify the limitation.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     03 March 2014

The incidence what you state attracts the provision of the IT act 2000 u/s 66A; the circular what Mr.Isaac Gabriel refers to herein above is about the cautionary notice to the law enforcing authority in this regard.

S. Kumar (Clerk)     03 March 2014

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your kind clarification.  If my case is covered u/s 66A of IT Act, 2000, what is the limitation for it?  Can I file the complaint, as the incident was happened before 2.5 years ago ?

With regards,

S. Kumar

Isaac Gabriel (Advocate)     16 July 2014

No limitation for filing criminal complaint.

NM (j)     25 December 2014


My wife was having an illicit relationship from her colleague, as per one of her chat with him. After I come to know about this, she stopped taking my phones, msgs, emails etc and also stopped allowing me to her home. She further stated herself to be unmarried in the some other chats.

After this, I have written a fake matrimonial mail offering fake grooms name for her, so that her present marital status can be ascertained, as she is declaring herself to be un married.

I have already confessed it, and she has registered a case under section 66A of IT act.

My wife had filed a divorce petition and later we have filed a joint divorce petition under section 13(B) HMA.

What I do now? kindly help.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     25 December 2014

@NM:  While posting your query you should always use your own thread and do not post it on others thread, you will be misguided by the replies.  However, in your case, if you don't like to live with her anymore what makes it interested to know what she is doing or indulged into.  Better pursue the divorce case and get rid of her from your path and sigh a relief.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query