license and other legal formalities for a coffee shop

Hi fellow club members! 


I want to open a coffee shop (more of tea shop but I guess its the same as far as licensing goes) in borivali, Mumbai. The shop will be rented and about 150 - 200 sqft, will have a gas connection or gas cylinder and a stove.


The coffee or tea will not be served inside or anywhere near the coffee shop. The coffee will be provided to nearby commercial shops.


I want to know the following.


1. What are the different types of licenses needed (compulsory) to open this kind of shop?


2. Are there any other legal formalities apart from licensing?


3. How much time will it take to secure these licenses and which governments departments are concerned with these licenses?


4. How much money will it cost? Including all official and unofficial cost.?


I think I would certainly need to consult a advocate/lawyer so if anyone of you lives nearby borivali and has times please let me know. I'll be glad to meet you.




P.S. - I am new to this forum so apologies if I have broken any rules.


Licenses are of different types 1

1. Food safety license: This is obtained by FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India). Check out the website of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and you can find the link to FSSAI (http://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in/UserLogin/Login.aspx).2. Health/Trade license: This can be acquired from local civil authorities of that area. In case you open a restaurant in Gurgaon, you need to visit their respective site (http://www.mcg.gov.in/MCGPortal/User/TradeLicense.aspx) and get registered to complete the process.3. Eating house license: This is provided by Licensing Police Commissioner of that city. In case you open a restaurant in Delhi, you need to go to the site of Licensing Police Commissioner of Delhi (http://delhipolicelicensing.gov.in/eating/eating-house.htm) and follow the procedures.4. Insurance: You can consult any insurance company for these insurances:

a. Public Liability b. Product Liability c. Fire Policy d. Building & Asset

There are other insurance policies also which are not mandatory but useful.

4. Prevention of Food and Adulteration (PFA) Act, 1954: The PFA Act covers food standards, general procedures for sampling, analysis of food, powers of authorized officers, nature of penalties and other parameters related to food. It protects India against impure, unsafe, and fraudulently labelled foods.

5. Shops and Establishment Act: You are required to register your restaurant under the Shops and Establishment Act.

6. Signage license: You will be required to obtain this license from local civil authorities.


Thanks for the reply. I'm confused which licenses would be applicable to me but at least I know what kind of license are required :)

If someone could shed lights on how much time it takes and how much it costs, it will be really helpful.


Licenses required to open a restaurant in India

  1. FSSAI – Food Safety And Standards Authority Licence
  2. GST Registration
  3. Fire Department
  4. Lift Clearance


For more detail regarding legal services you can go through this link.


Thanks for publishing this details. I simply want to let you know that I just look into your site and also I locate it really fascinating and useful.   independent support ,Official support ,OEM support ,independent third party support ,Voice support ,support phone number ,support number ,customer service number ,customer support number ,customer service phone number ,customer support phone number




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum



IPC Grand Course     |    x