Im a owner of a commercial building of an inherited property from my father after his death in Tirupur City (TN). I have three shops in that building. In one of the shops, I have made a rent agreement for 3 years and it will expire in two months. It is an unregistered agreement. I dont want to continue the tenancy with the current tenant, I have issued a written notice to him to vacate the premises upon completion of the lease period since Im going to use it for my own business. But he denied, that he wants to continue and will file a petition in court if I didnt agree. He is regular in rent payments, but he has occupied the extra space in the common area for his business which is not mentioned in the lease. I agreed for that but I didnt give any written approval. I dono what to do now.
1. Isnt he liable to vacate the premises at the end of lease period?
2. I suppose I have to file a eviction petition, but any idea how long it will take?
3. Is that occupancy of extra space will add more advantage of my side?
4. Will the Court provide him extra time to continue the tenancy?
5. I wanted to know when I will get my property back to my procession so that I can plan to start my business accordingly.
He has a very sound background. Also I have the original agreement and he has only the photocopy of it.
Also I have few more questions
- I haven’t made any lease with other two tenants, is that advantage or disadvantage for me?
Note: I was not aware that the rental agreement has to be registered if it is more than 11 months. Just after reading this forum I came to know.