intimidation and misappropriation by son-in-law


One of my close relatives A owns a thriving Publishing House, which he inherited from his father. He has been running it successfully from 1965 until recently. It is a family owned private limited company and a majority of shares was held by A. He has two daughters. Both of them married inter-caste love marriage. The elder one married in 2001 and the younger one in 2007. The marriages were with the consent of their parents and A performed the marriages and met all expenditures as he would have if they were arranged marriages.

The in-laws of the elder daughter were middle-class salaried employees and are now retired. The in-laws of the younger daughter are in business and are comparable in wealth to my relative. The younger son-in-law is associated with their own family business. The elder son-in-law B, had not yet got employed at the time of their marriage. A took him into his own business. But gradually over the years B inducted his friends into the business one by one. Originally the boys were well-behaved and liked by all.

Around 2008 the mother of A told me that B was intimidating A and asking him to transfer the business to him(B). He was saying that A was old and should retire from active work.

In 2009 the mother of A died. As though that was not enough for A, his wife got stricken with Alzheimer’s disease.

The friends B turned goondas and all of them together threatened A and got transferred to B his entire lot of shares. Thus  B is in full control of the business. He deprived A of access to all bank accounts, car and other  perks. B is now giving A a “salary” of Rs. one lakh per month.

A is a very timid person and that emboldened B to do all these. Now how can A regain his property and business and virtually his freedom?  If he makes a police complaint, most probably the police will burk.

I advised A to give a public notice in newspapers, stating all the facts and warning all concerned, that if they deal with B, it will be entirely at their own risk and responsibility. But his lawyer is advising him that such a notice may attract defamation suit against A.

I wish to know the advice of learned members in this Forum, as to how A can proceed in the matter.


burk means to suffocate?




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum



IPC Grand Course     |    x