information

can a convicted person have right to vote or not

Deputy Manager

Academic question.

Hey,

In India, the convicts do not have the right to vote. Recently in a petition in the Delhi High Court, the Election Commission of India informed the Court that prisoners do not have voting rights under the Representation of People (RP) Act. This is not the first time that the constitutional validity of Section 62 (5) has been challenged.

In 1997, as part of the case Anukul Chandra Pradhan v. Union Of India And Others, the petitioner too argued that the sub-section violated Article 14 (equality before law) of the Constitution, and also of Article 21, as the “restriction placed on the right to vote denied dignity of life". But as of now, the law stands that, CONVICTS DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO VOTE.

Hope this answers your question!

Regards

Palak Singh

Total likes : 1 times

I concur with Mr. Palak Singh.

when the accused is on bail then he can vote or not

Deputy Manager

Dear original querist, please note that the accused should not be inside the jail when the voting takes place. It must be held that the right to vote is subject to the limitation imposed by the statute which can be exercised only in the manner provided by the statute; and that the challenge to any provision in the statute prescribing the nature of right to elect cannot be made with reference to a fundamental right in the Constitution.

Advocate

What are the facts, if any? Please do not post riddles.

Mr. Om Prakash! The forum and the Lawyers Club India website is as much for the students to have their academic queries resolved as it is for the querists with real-life issues! Not that an academic query is not a real-life issue. 

Please stop making your own rules and discouraging people from using the forum. As far as it is a legal query, it is made for this forum. You can refrain from answering if you want. There are moderators on the site to remove or alter a query that is not made for the forum!

First, you discourage the person, then you answer the question yourself and become a part of the thread. :|

Deputy Manager

I simply mean to say that many experts who are offering their services free of cost, should not be made to act as tutors. On the other hand, I may be wrong to imagine that LCI is not a social platform to act as tuition provider, but then, so what? I have only interfered in this particular query, because Ms. Palak Singh has wrongly observed the ruling of SC, which she herself has quoted, so that the original querist should not be misguided. BTW, have I committed the blasphemy?

They are not being 'Made to Act' as anyone. Answering a query or NOT is as much a right for the experts as asking a query is for the students. No one is forcing any expert to mandatorily tutor anyone on the forum. We all ask queries and answer them to help each other and share knowledge. When you answer a 'Non-Academic' query, is it any different than tutoring a person? Is it not free of cost? Is asking an academic or non-academic question in any way a loss to anyone on the forum? You left the querist without any guidance before, making sure that no one else answers him and then you suddenly start caring about him being misguided? Blasphemy? IDK. Weird hypocrisy? Yes! 

LEAVE A REPLY

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Search Forum

LAWyersclubindia Menu

CrPC MASTERCLASS     |    x