Indo - Pak marriages

My girlfriend is from pakistan we are planning to get married I need to know the legal procedure for such marriages how can we get married ?

Total likes : 2 times


Hello, thank you for your query.

In case a marriage between an Indian and a foreign national is to take place in India it is required to file a notice of intended marriage with a marriage registrar in the city wherein your marriage will be solemnized. That notice shall be published for the stipulated thirty days. At the end of the period, the marriage registrar is free to perform the marriage. The notice of intended marriage can only be given in India if at least one partner is permanently and the other partner is temporarily resident in India.

If one partner is residing in a foreign country then the partner who is resident of India will have to fill the marriage notice collected from the marriage registration office of his/her choice in India and send it to their partner in foreign country who will also have to fill it out. This notice should be sent back to the partner in India who will have to re-submit it at the Marriage Registration Office. After 30 days marriage can take place.

Under the Special Marriage Act, 1954 a certificate showing the signatures of the persons married, registrar and the witnesses will be issued. 

These are the required documents for both parties:

1. valid passport

2. original birth certificate showing name of parents

3. if divorced, copy of final decree

4. if widowed, original death certificate of deceased spouse

Hope this solves your query.




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum



Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query
Forensics & Evidence     |    x