LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Tirtha (Network Engineer)     10 January 2014

Income from previous employer


I changed my company in mid-term of a financial year (2013-14). In my new company I didn't declare my income from my previous employer. The previous employer had deducted the tax when I was employed with them. I have not taken the benefit of investment from my previous employer.

My question is after calculating income (from both employers) if there is any due from my side, how do I pay it?

Can it be paid when I submit Form 16 from both the employers?




 6 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     10 January 2014

Combine the income/payouts from both employers.


If you are seeking I.Tax relief u/s 80C, 80D, 80G etc...........................mention the details of amounts invested, compute TDS from both employers as per form 16............................and pay tax if applicable or seek refund as applicable.................

Tirtha (Network Engineer)     13 January 2014

Kumar Thanks for your answer.

Do I do it when I get the Form 16s from both my companies and go for submitting the same?



Kumar Doab (FIN)     13 January 2014

The deductor (Employer in your case)  is under obligation to supply the Form16 in time.

In case the deductor does not supply it you can check online at website of also write to Employer/appointing authority/MD/Finance Manager that signs on Form16 to supply by redg. post

You can also club the income from salary slips and add other income from other sources including interest from salary/saving accounts and file return in time.


Your I.Tax lawyer at your location can help you further.

Margesh D. Gandhi (Tax Consultant)     15 January 2014

Advice from kumar is correct

sreekanth (Assistant Manager- Taxation)     15 January 2014

Hi Tirtha,

You Might Need to Pay Tax.

Since You did not Declare Your First Employer Salary with second employer, Your Second will Consider 'His Salary Payable' as Only Income To you. He will Give again the Basic Exemption Limit of Rs. 2Lac To you. Hence You might End with Paying Tax. Hence in your case Both employers will give the basic exemptions Limit.

To know the Basic exemption:

However You Did not declare your investments with First Employer You Can declare the same with Second Employer.Hence there is a possibility of Tax Reduction after considering your Investments which are not disclosed.

While Filing Your Income Tax ,, Show both the Salary Incomes as per 'Respective Form 16' & As well as Declare your Investments even though If you not Declared with Your Employers.




R RAJAGOPALAN (ADVOCATE)     15 January 2014

YOUR QUERY:"after calculating income (from both employers) if there is any due from my side, how do I pay it?"

REPLY: The balance tax shall be paid by you as Self Assessment Tax,just before filing your return of income.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register