LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

dhruv (other)     18 August 2012

In india can a wife claim dowry harrasment after 10 years ma

We have been married for more than 10 years.
My wife is not able to get a job and resents staying at home. She is lazy and does not want to do housework beyond very basic stuff. Our fights are mostly over s*x though since I do not really care about other issues of her lazines towards our home and children too much.
She withholds s*x, does not initiate ever, does not show any affection like hugging and kissing and on the other hand always shows that she does not like s*x with me. This causes me to feel rejected all the time and causes arguments all the time. She has on occasions slapped me and hit me as well. She never tries to mend the situation and unless I resolve the issue it never ends. Since our last fight it has been 20 days and since I have not resolved by initiating the talk myself the coldness is still on. In fact I had an operation and she did not even call to ask me how it went and how I am feeling.

Her parents support her all the time when there is a fight and are ready to accept her at their home as it is very near to ours. I will be without job soon though I have a shared property with her name and parental house.

IS maintenance/alimony mandatory after divorce?
Difference between alimony and maintenance?
What if I am unemployed? Can she get alimony then?
What if I am getting unemployment benefit from another country?
Can she file false police charges against me after I file for divorce?
What is the difference if I file for divorce instead of her?
Who will get the kids (older and younger)
What if I keep both kids - still same alimony?
How do I safeguard myself?

Learning

4 Replies

vijay (M)     18 August 2012

In India woman have claimed dowry harrassment even after 30 yrs of marriage.  Your marriage is dying but not dead yet.  so the option is upto you- save it or kill it.  Given the circumstances you have described, you won't get a divorce in Indian courts.  And if you wish to end the marriage, don't loose custody of your kids, or you will never ever be able to see their faces again. Rest querries can get answered by reading last 100 or so posts in this forum.

Ranee....... (NA)     18 August 2012

Try to find out the reason , there must be some reason..she may have some physical prob or an affair outside the marriage...inquire about it before taking any legal steps..

dhruv (other)     19 August 2012

What are the differences if I want the divorce and on the other case if she wants a divorce.. Does the alimony depend on it?

Also if I can prove that she is having an affair outside marriage will the maintenance still be mandatory?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register