LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

pavan (bisiness)     05 March 2016

Hurt someone's religious belief

Hello Sir,

A link of a website of which content hurts my religious beliefs has been shared in my facebok by a person in my friends list. The content in that website is misinterpreting the actual context which has been mentioned in my religious books. Also I feel like the content of the website is disgracing my religion.

Kindly tell me if there are any specific laws in our constitution to take an action against that person who posted that website link in my social network.

I would like to move further to file a case in my local P.S. on this issue.

I did not mention the religion name because I believe that the law is equal for all the religions. :-)

Thank you.


 3 Replies

ROHIT SHARMA (Legal Advisor )     05 March 2016

1. yes, you can file a written complaint with the cyber police station against such person on your friends list who had induced you to refer to a certain link of a website and upon your visting such site you felt offended as by reading the cotents that which were posted because they dispreputed your religion and this person had done so by introducing such web link knwoingly with an intention o hurt your religious sentiments.


1 Like

Mansi Aggarwal   25 February 2021

Hello, thank you for your query.

The hate speech laws in India aim to prevent discord among its many ethnic and religious communities. The law allows a citizen to seek the punishment of anyone who shows the citizen disrespect on grounds of religion, race, place of birth, residence, language, caste, or any other ground whatsoever. 

Section 153a of the Indian penal code says that whoever by words, either spoken or written, or by signs or by visible representations or otherwise, promotes or attempts to promote on grounds of religion, race, place of birth, residence, language, caste or community, disharmony or feelings of enmity between groups then the person can be imprisoned for three years, or fine or both.

You can book a case on people on these grounds. 

Hope this helps you.



175B083 Mahesh P S   26 February 2021


For more input visit,

Thank you

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register