IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

VISHAL GUPTA   26 December 2020

how to send legal notice

Hi every one, an incident took place yesterday when one of my family member abusing my another family member over seeking possession of dowry goods since 30 years ago.. As no documentary evidence has been made but both party can confirm that it belongs to the lady who was abused over the phone call,
Lady having a recorded voice over the phone.
Is she able to send legal notice to other party for apologise in writing.? If yes then does she need FIR for the same?


 1 Replies

Nandini Warrier   12 January 2021

Good afternoon,

You can try talking to the person first, face to face calmly to resolve the conflict. If they still are causing issues, or are abusing you in any way, please consult your appointed lawyer and explain the circumstances to the lawyer. If the lawyer sees fit, they will decide to send the legal notice.

To write a legal notice, you will need a lawyer who is good at drafting such notices. Explain the whole situation, mention the names of every person that was present in the situation, and if there is a recording, let the lawyer listen to the recording. A legal notice is considered as a final warning before filing a suit against the person (defendant). If your lawyer does decide to send the legal notice, make sure it reaches the person and ONLY that person, don't send it through a friend or anyone that's not related to the case. English is the preferred language, but you can write a legal notice in any Indian language. The lawyer usually will keep one copy of the legal notice with themselves as well. The person will be given a time period to reply to the notice, and to settle the conflict among yourselves. If they don't reply, please notify your lawyer. 

Hope this helped,




Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query