LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vinay Kumar (EA)     16 July 2011

How to get PIO from Indian Consulate US for foriegn Wife PIO

Hello everyone,

I really hope someone could HELP me with this.

My name is Vinay Kumar, and I am currently working in the USA. I got married to my wife in 2004. She is born in Tibet, which is now part of China. She was in the USA trying to get political asylum. After we had our daughter 4 years ago, I applied for PIO card for both my wife and daughter at Indian Consulate Houston. They called me and said they cannot give PIO to both of them unless indian ministry in INdia approves it.

I said thats fine for my wife, but since my daughter is born in US, she should be able to get PIO. So they did send PIO for my daughter. I called them once every month to check the status but they started getting more and more rude everytime. Finally they said, they don't think my wife can get PIO, and they don't think Indian ministery will approve either, and I shouldn't call tem to waste their time.

Its 1 year and 6 months since I had that conversation. They don't pick up phones, I wrote so many letters. My father from India has called them. I have a strong feeling that they haven't send my wife papers to India. I write them emails every week, but their is zero response from them. Living in the USA, i have come to expect high standards of professionalism from govt officials. But these offocials at Indian houston consulate make me feel so ashamed.

Somehow I got my hands on the Consulate General's phone number, and being a busy man he is, I was able to get hold of him, on atleast my 100th try. And the conversation lasted 10 secs. He simply asked to send them an email and don't call.. Hence the end of the matter.

My parents in India are both SIck and Old. My mother just hoing to have her foot replacement surgery, so she can't walk for god knows how long. I have just packed my bags to move back to India. But their is no support from the Indian Consulate at all. Honestly I don't know who else to ask for help.

Is there a way, I can get some legal/mdeia help to pursue them to provide me status on my wife's case. I am open for all suggestions and ideas..

Appreciate all your time and effort in providing guidance.


Vinay Kumar

 4 Replies

Legal Fighter (Advocate)     16 July 2011

The best way is to seek information by filing application under Right to Information Act and if you don't get requisite results, you may move to High Court by filing writ petition.

RajanaVenu (None)     17 July 2011

I guess, Mr Vinay did not mention his status , whether he had become an US citizen or still an Indian Citizen carrying a green card. If he had left the indian citizen ship status, I stongly believe he would not be able to file an RTI. Could someone clarify whether an Indian Citizen who had given up indian status , can file an RTI.. whether in person ( ex: ppl working In india from other countries) , Mail and E-mail . (All).


Vinay Kumar (EA)     17 July 2011

Mr Venu,

Thanks for your reply. I donot have a Green Card, I am working on EAD. Still carry Indian Passport.

I was hoping I could get some legal help to have Indian Consulate work on my wife's case.



Sudhir Kumar (Retd Govt Officer)     26 November 2011

Mr Vinay worked hard to make life miserable for hilself every body connected with him. Indian citizen can file RTI reqeust.  He will nave to prove nationality if he applies from foreign address.  Unfortunately no provision of RTI can help him to get a fraudulent PIO status for his wife.  He himelf admits openly on web that his wife is tibbetan (now part of china) Why he does not try a certificate of Person of Chinese Origin.  Why should at all Indian official risk their carerr by giving PIO certificate to a chinese by birth. He also does not state what happened to her reeuqest of US asylum.  Is she still illegal resident in USA?  

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads


Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query