LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     01 September 2012

How to address a judge?

If we meet a Supreme Court or High Court Judge outside the Court for example in a conference,seminar, judicial meeting etc; how do we address him or her? My Lord? Your Honor? or simply as Judge?

Learning

9 Replies

Adish, I dont even prefer using Your Honor as it sounds too bombastic? I would prefer using simple word Judge, is it proper?

1 Like

Democratic Indian (n/a)     01 September 2012

Addressing a judge as simply Sir or Mr. Justice XYZ should be sufficient.
1 Like

Ashish, Haaaaaaaaaaaa equating the judges with God. I agree with justice YK. Subarmaniam. And why dont we do away with that black robe, the mark of a colonial stamp that exist till today?

1 Like

b man (Namaste)     02 September 2012

Dear Assumiji,

I endorse your view that we should discard the colonial black robes. We can have our own dress code, which reflects INDIAN culture.

In fact in 2010, Union Minister Jairam Ramesh while attending the convocation of the Indian Institute of Forest Management in Bhopal had also refused to wear the convocation gown.

Jairam Ramesh had said "I still have not been able to figure out after more than six decades of India's independence that why we stick to these barbaric colonial relics,"

Warm regards

ramani (Director)     02 September 2012

I agree with Ashishji. Apart fm what Ashishji has staed, I bellieve there is a certain sanctity and decorum the robe provides in a Court . We say " respect is to be commanded not demanded" The robe enhances the Command value to the Judge.

b man (Namaste)     03 September 2012

Dear Ashishji,

I was not referring to the JUDGES’s robes.

I had the LAWYERS in my mind when made the comments. The black coat/gown they wear.

Fully agree with your comments with regards to the JUDGES’s robes.

Warm regards

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register