Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

rising up again (FFF)     21 June 2014

How much is the maximum limit to stock liquor at home ?

hi..

I made a new house and have a bar for myself.....  bought many liquor bottles of Indian / International brands from my foreign trips. have all bills with me..  

Can i stock liquor at home ? someone told me... its not allowed to stock more than 2 bottles at home... what is the maximum limit to hold wines at home ?? Is it really strictly not allowed ?? 

Learning

10 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     21 June 2014

Yes, it is restricted and require license to hold more than authorised.

However, being a state subject, consult a local lawyer.

Laxmi Kant Joshi (Advocate )     21 June 2014

Without taking licence you cannot stock more liquor then authorised in your home .

Advocate Ravinder (Advocate/Attorney)     22 June 2014

You are making a collection of bottles as a hobby and not for commercial use.  It is your residence not a shop or commercial area.  Hence, it is not offence.  But however you have to take permission from the Collector for safe side. 

rising up again (FFF)     22 June 2014

If keeping liquor at home is illegal................that means........maintaining a BAR at home is also illegal ??  i have all premium Intl. brands and with bills.... would still this cause trouble ?  i am based in delhi.... how do i get permissions ??/ from where ???

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     23 June 2014

Mr./Ms. Rising up again,

1. It is not a legal query to be posted on this platform.

2. If you want to maintain Bar at your home, engage a lawyer there is no derth of lawyers in Delhi who can advise you properly. 

rising up again (FFF)     24 June 2014

Dr. JC,.

Why is'nt this a legal query ?? if stocking up extra amount of liquor illegal.......i wish to have a reply on the actual laws on the same... 

LAW query does'nt mean that i come to this forum when i am in trouble..... or when the excise people start troubling me....!!  its always better to prevent rather than a cure..... 

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     24 June 2014

You have an answer in your own question that if the excise people come for raid?, thus you can find out the limit by browsing the excise department website about the limit of hoarding liquor in your house for your personal consumption.  Stocking up liquor at home for consumption at home cannot be treated as bar but the word bar will be an apt name hence it can be said so. Further, on a so called raid by excise people, since you have proper bills for purchase, you do not have to worry about the issues, because it cannot be said that you are into illegal sale by hoarding huge stocks of liquor for business without licence.   Stocks to a reasonable limit will not raise eye brows.

rising up again (FFF)     28 June 2014

Dear Kalaiselvan Sir, 

Thats what i am worried about. I made a bar and have collected the best of bottles from all over the world.... and now someone told me...i cannot keep them...  (i have around.. 60-65 bottles of whisky, vodka and brandy with me which are generally not available in India)

Searched the net for excise rules in delhi but cudnt get much details...so, had to seek help from you experts........... as i have all bills, there's nothing to worry ?? right ??

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     28 June 2014

Dear rising up again,

1. You have approached the experts adopting a fictitious name, i.e., anonymous queriest, who is not entertained on this platform,

2. If you can maintain (or intending to maintain) a bar at your home, as you have stated inter alia that "I made a bar and have collected the best of bottles from all over the world.... and now someone told me...i cannot keep them... (i have around.. 60-65 bottles of whisky, vodka and brandy with me which are generally not available in India)..." you can very well afford to engage and consult a local lawyer, you are on a charitable platform, which is not meant for affluent persons.

3. Joint Commissioner (Licenece) Delhi Police, Defence Colony, Ring Road, New Delhi is appropriate authority for further information, however, youur query has properly been addressed by the experts,

Advocate Ravinder (Advocate/Attorney)     28 June 2014

If you have collected the bottles as a hobby it is ok.  But if you sell them, you have to obtain permission of Excise department, Police, Municipal and other authorities.  It is not a joke to get the above permission.  Approximately you will have to spend 30 to 40 lacs. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register