LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vishwa (translator)     17 September 2009

How are court records archived?

Is there a basic and universal system followed by Indian courts for keeping the archives of old cases? I am looking for files relating to an old divorce case in Bijnor (UP) court. I have the date on which the case was filed and also the names of the parties. Is this sufficient for tracing out the files?

What are the different cross indexing registers generally available?

Is there a kind of diary listing the cases dealt with on a particular day?

Thank you in advance for all feedback.

Vishwa

Learning

3 Replies

Anjali (IT)     17 September 2009

I am not sure the details you have asked for...but if I really want to get it ,  I would just walk in to the court , approach the "Record Clerk" , who will give more information.

kranthi kiran (Works In Judicial Department)     17 September 2009

After disposal a case, and appeal if any, the record will be retained in the Record Room, for the period prescribed, in the Destruction Rules as enumarated by the Cocerned High Court.

Generally a Register, known as Destruction Register will be available in the Record Room. Contact the Concerned Record Keeper with the case number. If the records are not yet destroyed, you can obtain the certified copies of required documents by filing an application in the prescribed proforma.

Vishwa (translator)     17 September 2009

Dear Anjali

Dear Kiran

Thank you for your comments. In fact I am trying to trace the files without any case number available to me. Since the parties are hostile towards me, I have to use other methods. Since I have the date of filing the case, is there any diary or index where the case number may be recorded?

Also, what is the destruction period lilely to be in general?

Thanking you again

Vishwa

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register