IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

abhishek srivastava (lawyer)     30 July 2009


hi everyone i am new memeber here . I am a law graduate aiming to make career in corporate sector . i  am already registered in bar council of my state . now i want to pursue CS  to add a strong qualification to my law degree .  i just wanted to know  1.as i have been registered as member of bar council will i  will be able to get registered as ACS in ICSI or not .  remebering i have aimed to make corporate sector.  there are many company who demand of cs /llb are they registered in bothof these bodys



 9 Replies

abhishek srivastava (lawyer)     30 July 2009

or they can get  work as LLB+CS  either registerinb  in any one body . plz reply any additional information will be welocme.


You can register for Company Secretary course and after passing obtain the membership as Associate Company Secretary.  However you cannot ride two horses. Either you practice as Company Secretary or you practice as advocate. Practice can be limitied to either one only.

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     30 July 2009

Anil is right.


u ve to choose one.........no bigamy dear, just a single wife norm. :-)

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     30 July 2009

Mr Kiran Kumar is right. I had committed this wrong to my profession. though , I was a part time lecturer in Law which was not barred legally, but, in fact I suffered heavily in my practice.

even shrimad bhagavadgeeta warns about bigamous faith i.e. "vyabhichrini bhakti" and recomends faith in one i.e. "ananya bhakti".

Raman ( )     30 July 2009

Hello Abhishek,


Neither ICSI nor BCI is ready to give such special permission to practice in both. If you want to pursue your career as ACS/PCS then law degree would be a great benefit. If you want to pursue your career as a Corporate Lawyer then M.B.L from NLSIU would be the best option. I would say, never go for CS and M.B.L. See the course content and you'd understand what I am saying. After year-long struggle, I have learned this. Hope, this information should help you and others.


charudureja (advocate)     31 July 2009

upload ur resume o net on monster n naukri.com n if u can got o delhi or muimbai tht will be better

CS Pooja (Company Secretary)     31 July 2009

Generally, the Companies that demand CS +LLB need a candidate’s CS membership actually, as there is a requirement to appoint a whole time CS in a Company (depending upon the ambit of Sec 383A).

At the same time, there is no requirement of a Company to have a full time lawyer.

Since a CS works on almost all the areas that are required to be done by a lawyer in a Company, CS and LLB combination is preferred by companies for CS position.

What I perceive is that you can be an ACS/FCS (and not a CP holder from ICSI), and yet practice as a lawyer. Even I am looking for this grey question’s answer for long.

Experts, pl let me know if my perception is correct.

1 Like

Raman ( )     31 July 2009

A CS cannot appear before Courts. However he/she can appear before Tribunals, Company Law Board etc. 

DR OLAV ALBUQUERQUE (Senior Associate)     01 April 2011

Hi Everyone,

I hold a doctorate in law and would like to categorically state that there is a judgment of the Bombay high court which categorically states you cannot practise both as a Company Secretary and as an Advocate. Both are full-time professions. Both need concentration and devotion which is not possible if one is allowed to proactise both professions.

Just for the record, even medical doctors cannot practise both law and medicine. There hae been several cases where medical doctors ahve passed theri LL.B degree and sought permission to practise in medico-legal cases, But the Bar Council of Maharashtra and Goa has refused permission to these doctors to practise both law and medicine.

So,however brilliant you are, it would prove futile to study for a Company secretary examinatin after holding a sanad.

It is such a pity.

Dr Olav Albuquerque

M.Sc, LL.M, Ph.D (Law)


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query