Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Trent Vora (CEO)     30 August 2010

Help with flat on Pagdi system

Hi there,

We are a family of 2 sisters and 1 brother.

My late parents bought a flat under the Pagadi system in 1976 and soon after they passed away in 1985, one of my sisters got married and lives away with her husband. The other sister, who has a mental illness is residing at a wellness centre in Bangalore. I have relocated abroad.

Our flat remains vacant for about 8 to 10 months in a year, though we pay our rents on time everytime. Recently, because of the flat remaining vacant, our landlord has threatened to evict us on because the flat remains vacant for long stretches of time.

Fear of being evicted, my sister and I have temporarily relocated back to Mumbai. Although I am going back to the UK in 3 weeks, my sister may have to stay longer which will have a negative impact on her illness.

My questions to someone expert in the field will be as follows:

1. Is the landlord right in threatening eviction because of the flat remaining vacant, though all bills are always paid on time?

2. Even if we decide to reside in the flat, can the landlord stop us from conducting some very crucial repairs? There is constant water leakage and the walls keeps falling from the ceiling. We have asked if we can conduct the repairs and the landlord has declined

permission to do so.

Your valuable input will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

DRG

Learning

1 Replies

DEFENSE ADVOCATE.-firmaction@g (POWER OF DEFENSE IS IMMENSE )     30 August 2010

You have not stated the place. Even other wise all rent acts are in favor of tanent except for default of rent and subletting.

You need not worry , you can not be evicted and you can carry on repairs. If landlord obljects you can take orders from the court.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register