LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Praveen Thanki   10 January 2021

Gujarat: can we sell agricultural land without being present

My brother and I are British citizens living in England.  We have inherited agricultural land in Porbandar district and want to sell this plot of land to the current person farming it.

The value of land is small and does not justify the amount of time and money of going to India to sign the documents.  I am told by the local 'vakils' that both of us have to be physically present to conclude the sale.  Is this true?

Secondly, the vakils told us that we cannot sign over the rights to sell to our appointed Power of Attorney, even though we are will to have a Power of Attorney notarised and Appostalised in the United Kingdom.  Vakil says such overseas notarised PoA are not recognised in local courts. ls this true?

Learning

1 Replies

Bunty   10 January 2021

No. You need not come to India just to register a sale deed. Law of POA is changed in July 2020 so you need to sign fresh POA as per sec 33 of registration act and send it along with Signed sale deed then after your POA holder can produce it before the sub registrar for the registration.
1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register