Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

victim_of_pagal_family (victim)     21 May 2013

Guidance needed on quash - 498a

Case history is as below. Entire case in Tamilnadu:

First complaint filed by ex-wife at her home town police station after 3 years of separation and 1 year of divorce petition filed by me. Police forwarded the complaint to District Social Welfare Officer (DSW) of ex's home town to seek the opinion of the Dowry Prohibition Officer (DPO). My parents attended the enquiry conducted by DSW and my statement was taken thro' post and e-mail as I was in UK. The other party was also there. After hearing both the parties the DSW gave a report saying there seems to be no dowry issues and it was only general misunderstandings between the parties that led to the divorce filing. Police closed the complaint referring to the DSW report and conveyed the same to both parties.

Second complaint was lodged by ex in the same police station and FIR was registered on the same day (Section 498a and DP Act 4) on me and my parents. Parents took AB with no conditions. This time the complaint was forwarded to the DSW in my home town (as ex's home town DSW has already given a report in my favor). My parents attended the DSW enquiry again and my statement was taken through phone and post as I was in the UK. The other party was also there. My home town DSW also gave a report saying that they could not find any dowry related issues through the enquiry.

Later, my AB was approved with no serious conditions and I reached India. Now, police is saying that they are going to file chargesheet despite the DSW reports. Probably it is going to be a copy and paste of FIR. The only statements they have is of the girl's, girl's father and mother.

I would like to go for chargesheet quash in HC once I receive the copy of chargesheet. Below are the grounds I would like to use for asking to quash chargesheet:

a) First complaint was closed by the police after they received the DSW report indicating no dowry. I used RTI and got the status letter from police. The report from police mentioned "case closed based on the DSW report and complainant was informed about the case closure". On the second complaint, FIR was registered on the same day the second complaint was filed, which is 3 months after the filing of first complaint. FIR registered by the same IO who closed the first complaint. There are no change in circumstances between the two complaints. So, the complaint/FIR has been launched with malafide intentions and there is a clear abuse of process of law on the part of complainant and the IO.

b) In both complaints, the Dowry Prohibition Officers (of two different jurisdictions) have done detailed enquiry involving both parties and have concluded that there seems to be no dowry related issues and the issues relate only to general misunderstandings between me and ex. Hence court can consider the DSW reports and can arrive at a conclusion that prima facie 498a and DP4 cannot be invoked in my case and hence putting me to trial would result in injustice.

Experts, I understand quash happens only on rare cases. I have a belief that I have a fit case for quash bcoz of (a) multiple complaints in the same police station resulting in different outcomes (b) Dowry Prohibition Officer reports from 2 different jurisdiction suggesting nothing to prove/indicate dowry issues.

However I am concerned as quash happens only in rare cases. So, I want to make sure before I apply for it.

Experts, please offer your feedback as whether I have a fit case for quash so that I can decide and tell my lawyer whether to go for quash or face trial.

Thanks a lot...

Learning

6 Replies

BRIJENDRA K SINGH (ADVOCATE)     21 May 2013

AS PER THE FACT -First complaint filed by ex-wife at her home town police station after 3 years of separation and 1 year of divorce petition filed by me.-----(First complaint filed by ex-wife at her home town police station after 3 years of separation and 1 year of divorce petition filed by me.) THIS IS THE MAIN GROUND FOR QUESHING (UN REASONED DELAY OF REGISTER FIR AND OATHER POINTS  WILL BE SAME.

YOU CAN ALSO ASK FOR COMPANSATION OF HARRESSMENT  INCLUDED U/S OF IPC  211:False charge of offence made with intent to injure

Thank you Brijendra sir, that is an excellent point, I too thought about it "Period of Limitation". Is there a way that other party can justify her delay in filing the complaint? And do you think the other two points I had mentioned (multiple complaints and DSW reports) would also make my case strong?

Other experts please suggest, would be helpful.

Based on the above case and related materials/evidences, would you recommend:

a) chargesheet quash (482) or

b) discharge (227) or 

c) WRIT petition (226) or

d) just face trial

(Guest)

@Querist,

You have a good case waiting to be quashed.

Note-This reply should be taken as per the declaration given in my profile page.

Thanks,

Regards,

LAXMINARAYAN - Sr Advocate. ( solve problems in criminal cases. lawproblems@gmail.com)     21 May 2013

Yes inspite of the story the CRPC 482 remedy is not easy. You will need a thorough  legal expert and may have to go to SC.

Facing trial at lower court is easier option .

There are many misconceptions for discharge before trial it is also very rare and application can be filed only after evidence.

BRIJENDRA K SINGH (ADVOCATE)     22 May 2013

first i want to tell you that the limitation means in criminal matter regarding to FIR , there are no limitations and also there is limitation ,means where the threats,time concealing,or modesty of woman etc are present than there is no limitations but where these are absent then there is limitationas per your case there is limitation which can not be accept in trail because the judges are bound to follow the rules and procedures ,as per high court consider it fist they are not bound to any procedure or rules for accepting the facthere i want to say you that your case is too strong so you have to go for queshing the matter to the high courtif you need further assistance than contact on bsadv78@gmail.com

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register