Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More


Grama natham land - how to get documents

Kindly clarify the below -

1. What is exactly a Grama-natham land ?

2. My father bought a Grama-natham land in 1995 in Chengelpet which was under possession for past 30 years by the seller of this land? how can i apply for a Patta for this land? he bought it for about 35k and spent close to 2 lakhs to construct wall boundaries on the sides. the land area is about 20 cents.

3. i have the B- notices for the penal charges paid between 1995-2001 and after that the revenue inspector stopped accepting any fee for issuing the b-notices?

4. can i use this B-notice to prove our interest on the property at the court if any litigation or govt take over happens?

5. My question is - Is the Gramanatham land belongs to Government or does Government has any rights to take over the land any time without providing any compensation to me? Simply is Gramanatham a Poramboke land or is it a valid land.

6. What is the difference between SLR (Survey of Land Register) and Natham patta? At this point, all i have is the hand written and signed parent documents mentioning the sale (not registered though), and B-notices along with some court injunction order on some local encroachers that tried to take over the land in early 2000s. Kindly advise on how to deal with getting the property on my name.

 7 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     09 December 2013

Grama Natham land is government land.  Now since your vendor was in possession of it for more than 30 years, he should have obtained a patta on his name, instead he has just sold the land to you on the basis of mere possession and B memo receipts.  This B memo receipts do not accord title over the property  to the user and will not hold legal status if challenged before the court over the title.  So B memo receipt cannot create any interest or right over the grama natham poromboke property to the holder.  You may ask the vendor to obtain a patta on his name and then execute a registered sale deed in your favor or else  the sale as well as the purchase is null and void and illegal.  I see in the corner one relief to you in the name of some injunction order, please show the papers to any local lawyer and make sure that on what basis the court was please to grant an injunction order in favor of the vendor, has the court recognised the vendor's title due to his continued possession of the property?  For such property, a patta will be the only title/parent document and this patta will be the government through revenue department, SLR is a register maintained by the survey department containing the survey details alone.

Sudhakar (Teacher)     26 March 2014

I am in need of copy of the document and  for survery no 211/1 in chennai north district, village manali, street name Sannathi street, Manali. Address of the land - 43, Sannathi street, Manali, Chennai - 600068. The place is a Grama Natham land and i dont know the boundary NORTH, WEST, EAST, SOUTH of the land and document no to trace the copy of the document through the register office. It came to our notice that the land has been registered to another party in 2013 without the signature of the owner who has expired on 2010.  Kindly trace out the details and inform us.

Lawyer SALEEMA (Advocate Madras High Court & Legal Consultant Chennai Law in Law Firm. +91-9698884779)     26 April 2014

Government has no right over the property classified as Natham. They can't levy or collect any penalty under B memo notice or any other mode. Only the occupant alone having absolute right if he is able to prove his possession. Since there is no need to pay any tax for the land, the Patta is immaterial.


thanks for your reply.
just to clariy..the B memo notice were issued by the revenue department after consultation with the panchayat office..
@ T.Kalaiselvan sir -
as far as the court order that  i was referring to is concerned - it was when a private party try to encroach it and create trouble..and at that time we got a court order submitting the parent and b memo notices to prove our enjoyment and possession..and then we evicted the party with the help of police  who were directed by my advocate with a letter and the court ,we see some encroachment from the panchayat office itself to claim the wanted to know does the above previous court order will help us in any way to provide our enjoyment and usage so far.

also - if all goes well..and if we want to apply for a PATTA,,what sort of a patta appliies for this kind of land..i heard something called SLR patta- could you please clarify what is SLR patta..?

SRINIVASAN P   03 September 2015

Lawyer Salema kabeer is providing excellent information at all times.

Advocate Ravinder (Advocate/Attorney)     05 December 2015


Gramakantam lands do not have title.  You can be in the Possession but cannot alienate.  What the Revenue dept told is correct.  There is a way to solve your problem. Before that you have to clarify me some doubts. B-Notices and your injunction order will be useful to prove your possession.  You better contact my email. This is a complicated issue.  The nomenclature “Gramakantam” is seen only in AP. And Tamilnadu and no where else.  Hence, only the local Advocates can solve your problem.

g.prem (properitor)     22 July 2016








Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query