LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

CG12345678 (Student)     01 February 2011

Gift Deed to son-in-law


I have purchased a Agriculture land a year back spending my own money. Since, was in abroad it was register in my Mother-in-law’s name. Now, my mother-in-law wants transfer the property to my name. What is the appropriate method to have legally correct papers? In future, if I want to sell that land, there should not be any issues whatsoever.

Also, please let me know ways reduce registration cost…

Land is in Karnataka, kindly advice........

Thanks in advance


 4 Replies

satyajit (Law Officer)     01 February 2011

Best way to get gift deed from your mother-in-law.

1 Like

suresh (Advocate)     01 February 2011

Dear Mr. Chandra,

Initially if you want to hold the agricultural property you should be an agriculturist as per the Karnataka Land Reforms Act.  Then only you can purchase/hold  the agricultural property.

In that case :

step No.1: your mother in law convey the property to your wife i.e., her daughter  by way of registered  Gift Deed.

 Step No.2:  Then your wife will become absolute owner of the property,  then your wife can convey the property to you by way of Gift Deed .

in this transaction you can reduce registration cost as well as stamp duty.



1 Like

Bharatkumar (ADVOCATE )     01 February 2011

U and your mother in law are also agriculturist so your mother in law registerd a gift deed in your favour. Accual Stamp duty and Registration fee pay at that time. 

1 Like

CG12345678 (Student)     02 February 2011

Thanks to all for the very good response, after seeing these I have below questions in my mind.

1.     I have a land on my name in my village, which was from my father as we are agriculture family. Can I hold the land based on this?

2.     I read somewhere "one cannot gift the property which was received as gift" is that true?

3.     As of now I am not an Agriculturist by profession. But I wanted to do farming, which is aspiration, is there deviation in the law to hold the land?

4.     Can I buy a property anywhere in the state (Karnataka), if I want to. Is there any restriction that person has to live in the vicinity and should have address proof to get the registration?

Thanks in advance........

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query