Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Stillfighting (TL)     04 December 2013

Getting engaged during mutual divorce cooling period

HI experts,

me and my wife has agreed for divorce by mutual concent and we have filed a mutual concent petition in court. we are in cooling period of 6 months after which we will be getting divorce decree from court.

i want to know, now that we have filed divorce by mutual concent petition, can any one of us get engaged and start a new life.  please note it is just engagment and not marriage.

thank you

Stillfighting 

Learning

5 Replies

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     04 December 2013

Legally you are not divorced and the 6m period is given for attempts of reconciliation. However, if you are sure that your wife will not make any issue out of this and shall co-operate for moving the second motion then go ahead with the engagement.

Thank you for the quick reply, 

so what i understand that if i get engaged, it is not legal. 

Thank you

stillfighting

(Guest)

No Problem. Engagement doesn't hold any legal status. So go ahead with your engagement plans.

Thank you,

can any expert second on the comment provided by Stalker

thank you

stillfighting

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     04 December 2013

I think you are inviting troubles by going with an engagement with another female while you have not been actually or legally divorced your wife.  What if on coming to know about your proposal, your wife makes a complaint or withdraws herself in the second motion?  What will be your status with the proposed new entrant then?  What is the hurry to go for anything this way while you have still not crossed the obstacle?  It is a matter of time, on completion of divorce formalities, go for a marriage itself with the proposed girl instead of an engagement  and other formalities.  This is in your interest to sail smoothly and safely.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register