LIVE Course on Transfer Property Law | Price Hike in 4 days | Grab it now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sindhu (ap)     17 July 2015

Getting certified copy of child custody


I have posted this question earlier.I got many suggestions from this forum. But getting a certified copy for child custody for my sons passport has become a herculean task.Most of the lawyers in town are saying go to the original lawyer who handled this case I do not want to go to him due to some reasons. What can i do?Can anyone pls help me...



 3 Replies

Prashant Ghai (Advocate) (     18 July 2015

For Courts Orders, if you know your case details like Case No., Date of Decision, Name of Judge, etc, you can simply go to the Court where you case was decided, ask the Court staff as to where the section for applying for a certified copy of an Order is located, go there, fill in the form with your case details, pay a Fee of Rs.50 or Rs.100 (varies from Court to Court) and thats it. They ususally ask you to come back after 7-10 days to collect the certified copy.

advocate nitin kumar (lawyer)     18 July 2015

yes Mr. Prashant Ghai has told you the procedure very correctly,

kindly follow the same and even if it does not help then go to the court in which the suit was last heard and tell clearly to the judge that so and so case was decided by you and now you have lost contact with your lawyer and you need the copy of the judgement/custody order etc and you are facing such and such problems (like the certified copy department is not supplying copy etc) and i am sure the judge will surely help you.

and if your are a valid party in the suit then there is no way any one can stop you from getting the certified copy of any document which is related to your suit and was filed in the case file.


hope that helped.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     21 July 2015

You can visit the court office of the court where your case tried, contact some clerical staff and ask about the details of the case giving the date of disposal and other particulars whatever you know about it.

On getting the proper details, apply for copies of all those papers you wold like to have and then you visit the court after a period of at least 10 days to take the copies. as desired. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads


Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query