LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

A Truthseeker ( A retired Indian citizen)     20 June 2013

Gandhiji and legal profession

Gandhiji was not pleased with the lawyers as according to him the lawyers are more inclined to mint money by hook or by crook than serving the fellow countrymen particularly the poor and illrterates for whose benefits this profession is particulaly meant for. but to vie with two other main profession that are engineering and medicine, the lawyers are in rat race of money forgetting the ideals. we have heard doctors practising freely but few eminent lawyers render such yeomens service. thus how we can revamp this noble profession is now a challenging question.

Learning

5 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     21 June 2013

the role top law schools play in putting their graduates in large law firms is misguided, particularly in light of the high turnover rate of associates at big firms 

Advocate Ravinder (Advocate/Attorney)     21 June 2013

All Advocates are not money minded.  Only some Advocates do cheap tricks.  But who said Doctors and Engineers are not money minded.  They are more than Lawyers.  Private nursing homes are sucking the blood of patients in the form of huge hospital bills and in the same manner the engineers are constructing poor and inferior quality constructions in the form of Govt.tenders as well as private constructions. Extracting money is every where. 

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     22 June 2013

Engineers do not quote for Government tenders. It is done by contractors. A contractor may or may not be an engineer. If he is one, it may be just by qualification only. By profession he would be  a businessman. A practising engineer would do the structural design. He may do it for the Government as their employee or as a consultant.  Most often it will be a percentage of the cost of contruction. He may do a bad design due to incompetence. But that is neither corruption nor fleecing. He may collect bribe for approving a construction. But bribary can be collected only by a person in a position to collect. Bribe giving and bribe taking by anybody is a crime. 

Advocate Ravinder (Advocate/Attorney)     22 June 2013

Dr.MPS Ramani, As you are of the same profession you are ire on me.  I am not referring about all Engineers.  Only some of them are corrupt.  I commented in general and not on any particular profession.  I am sorry If I had hurt you. 

Though contraction is the main person, but the engineers are hand-in-glove with the contractors and they will keep mum when the construction is inferior quality, thus you cannot say engineers are innocent.  They are equally responsible in the scam, because without the help of engineer, the contractor cannot do any scam.   

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     22 June 2013

Adv. Ravinder: Of course, I am an Engineer. But I am neither a civil engineer nor a chartered engineer, who were the engineers, whom you were referring to. During my career, I never got a chance or an opportunity to take bribes. You did not hurt me by your comments. I only tried to academically correct your statement.

Now coming back to lawyers, everyone knew what Ajmal Kasab did. How could an honest lawyer have defended him?  When a lawyer successfully defends an accused, who himself had confessed to him (the lawyer) what he did, the lawyer receives praise.

There is a person called Cho Ramaswamy in the South. He is a journalist, actor and so many other things. Also he is a lawyer by qualification. He staged a play titled "Sambhavami Yuge Yuge". One of the things he does in the play is to successfully defend a person to evade income-tax. When he is asked by his friend why he was helping wrongdoers, he replies he was only doing his dharma as a lawyer.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register