LCI Learning
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mukesh Chaudhary   15 October 2021

Full name change

hi Sir,

I wants to change my full name. could you please help me in this.


 5 Replies

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     15 October 2021

You have to file the application in Annexure-I for Gazette Notification through the Tahsildar concerned for change of the name.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     16 October 2021

It is a procedural query consult a local lawyer.

Ananya Gosain   16 October 2021


You may follow this procedure-

1.Go to the State Government Press in the Capital City of your state.

2.Ask them for the form for change of name and obtain it.

3.Fill up the form and submit it (preferably then and there).

4.Pay the requisite Fees in cash.

5.The Press would publish the details of the change in name (or father's/mother's name, or surname as be your case) and post you two copies of the Government Gazette or ask you to collect the same. The press would also let you know when they would publish the same.

6. Thereafter wherever you wish to submit the change of Name / Father's/mother's Name / Surname Proof, you can submit true copies of the relevant pages of the Gazette.
Hope this helps


P. Venu (Advocate)     16 October 2021

What is wrong with your name?

minakshi bindhani   02 November 2021

As per your concerns!

To change your full name you need to follow the procedure given below:

Step 1 – Affidavit

Visit your nearest  Notary and make an affidavit regarding the change of your name. And mention therein your specific reason for changing your name. For example, changing of name after marriage, due to astrological or neurological reasons etc. 

Once the affidavit is printed on plain stamp paper, it needs to be signed by two witnesses. It is to be signed by two persons of gazetted officer rank. 

The procedure for a name change, in the case of a central government employee, needs to be done in lieu with the Ministry of Home Affairs O.M.

Married women, who would like to change their surname or add their husband’s name as initials, are required to provide the following details:

Old name with the father’s name and address;

A new name with husband’s name and address;

Marriage date.

Overseas Indians, can change their name by submitting a deed stating the change of name, duly signed by the Indian High Commission office or the Indian Embassy.
This affidavit can be used for changing your first or last name and also using the same you can completely change your name. 

Step 2 – Newspaper Publication

Step 3 – Gazette Notification
Now for getting your name published in the Official Gazette of your state.
1. You need to visit your local Government Press or the department that mobilizes Gazette notification.

2. Get 2 copies of “Deed Changing Surname Form”. 


You need to send the documents to the Secretary, Department of Commerce & Transport (Commerce)

The Government will print the change of your name in the Gazette. The amount charged for this Gazette notifications varies from Rs. 700 to Rs. 900 depending on whether you want a public notice or not.


Name Change Affidavit

Newspaper Publication

Name Change Deed

Request letter to the Secretariat

Name Change Statement

Reply Letter from the Secretariat

Publication Money Receipt.

Gazette Notification

In several cases, a person has the affidavit and the Newspaper advertisements for a name change and does not have notified the Gazette regarding the modification. But the government employees have the mandatory clause for Gazette notifications, the banks might ask for Gazette notification before changing your name in the account. 

Hope it is useful!
Minakshi Bindhani

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register