Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

mandar (software engineer)     01 December 2011

Legal binding of agreement to sell(mou)

Hi,

I need some legal advice and hence I am posting my question here. Recently I started a property deal in mumbai for 1 BHK apartment. The seller and I came to an agreement on price of property and we went to the lawyer and did an Agreement to Sell(MOU). The MOU details about all black and white money payments that both parties has agreed upon and also has receipt of token payment I have made to the seller. This agreement was signed by both parties. After MOU I made one more part payment to the seller as a part of agreement.In return I asked the seller to submit his original property deed papers. He submitted his papers which are with the lawyer now. Meanwhile I have been working on getting bank loan for this property. Now suddenly yesterday the seller told me that he doesnt want to sell his property since he has some personal problems and wants to call off the deal. My lawyer has already warned him that he cannot call of the deal at this time as that will lead to breaking of agreement and their can be strict legal action against him. I just wanted to know from you guys if it is possible for seller to cancel the agreement at this stage since property registration is not yet done and if I decide can I take legal action against him using MOU since he is breaking agreement by not completing sell. Does signing of agreement to sell(MOU) become a legal binding of him to sell the property?  Please let me know.

Regards

Learning

4 Replies

Advocate M.Bhadra   01 December 2011

You can file a Case in Consumer Forum for deficiency of service and mental agony or you can file a Suit for Specific Performance of Contract in Civil Court.But it is better for you if the Seller is agreed to return advance amount which you have paid and by which you can repay the loan to the Bank.

P N V Krishnan (Advocate)     02 December 2011

It depends where this agreement was signed. In some  states like UP,Delhi etc the agreement to saler has to be regsitered  with the full stamp duty.In some states  registartyion is not madatory.Pl check  up.

P N V Krishnan (Advocate)     02 December 2011

It depends where this agreement was signed. In some  states like UP,Delhi etc the agreement to saler has to be regsitered  with the full stamp duty.In some states  registartyion is not madatory.Pl check  up.

Bharatkumar (ADVOCATE )     02 December 2011

Different law in all state u r from which state. U pay a stamp duty for this MoU. MoU is registered / unregistered / noterized etc... U can file a specific performance in Civil Court but if the Vendor reson is jenuan  and he return a advance amout given by u at that time u cancle this MoU is better way.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register