Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kishore PT (Manger)     25 June 2014

Formation of co-operative housing service society

Respected Lawyers,

I have few queries regarding formation of Co-operative Housing Service Society. I had purchase two plots in a society in 1998. At that time there were no plots developed except two who started construction of their bungalow. The Co-operative Housing Service Society had formed in 1996 at that time it was unoccupied land.

My question to the respected lawyer is:

1.      Can promoters form Co-operative Housing Service Society when 2 owners are about to start building their houses and other are not leaving in that society?

2.      After formation of Society Bye Laws are not provided? Promoters made Plot owners members without there knowledge i.e. they are not made to sign the application forms to be member of the society.

3.      Can Housing co-operative Society ask for the maintenance Charges form the vacant plot?

4.      We paid Rs.500 for each plot when we brought plot to one of two person who was in process to built his house but later we came to know this was for membership of the society. Till date they have not given shares certificate. Is it Deficiency towards the service? What action one can take?

I met the District Registrar, as per her one cannot ask for maintenance charge for vacant plot as no service like security, light or water is been given or not required.  

I am in process to get the information from the Local Registrar of the Society but your valuable suggestion shall help me to go in dip to find out what to do thereafter. 

Awaiting reply.

Learning

5 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     25 June 2014

Unless it is provided in the bye-laws, you can not get any concession or exemption for the payment of maintenance charges even if the flat is un-occupied or vacant. But if your flat is lying vacant, you have to write to the society about such vacancy who in turns must inform the Municipal Corporation to claim vacancy benefit.

To claim vacancy benefit, the assesse has to inform in prescribed form within stipulated time before the assessment of such property. There is no provision under the Municipal Act to claim refund of the Tax paid for which no intimation was given to the Municipality or Municipal Corporation. You can not get any refund either fully or partly or for any period prior to the year 2003. If you give an intimation to claim vacancy benefit, you must give now the notice, when the Inspector from Municipal Corporation will visit and submit the report. In such event you may get the benefit only for the period October, 2003 to March 2004.

Kishore PT (Manger)     30 June 2014

@ramachary64 Sir, Thanks for your valuable reply. These are not flats but open plots/land. They are in 46 in numbers. This plots are vacant and today only 15 owners have constructed there house on it while rest are vacant. The society was form in 1996 and at that time only two houses were under construction. Request you to put some light on point no 1 & 2 also.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     30 June 2014

Answers to your questions will depend on the State in which you are.

Kishore PT (Manger)     04 July 2014

This question pertain to Gujarat State

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     06 July 2014

It appears that yours is a co-operative premises society and not a co-operative housing society. In every State a minimum number of members is stipulated to form a co-operative society. Gujarat Co-operative Societies Act and Rules also would have specified this number. If your Society has been registered they would have satisfied this requirement. The Act may be available on the website. Please check.

If your society is registered they would also be having the bye-laws approved by the Registrar. Every member has a right to get a copy of the bye-laws from the society on payment.. You may get a copy. If your Society does not give, you can make an application to the Registrar with the Registration No. of your Society.

It is not possible give a blank statement that a society cannot levy any charges on vacant land. The bye-laws will say what levies the society can collect. Please see the bye-laws. If some members have constructed buildings and others have left their plots vacant the latter cannot be exempted from payments.

Also when a society applies for registration as a co-operative society the application for registration should give particulars of the area and the boundaries of the area under its jurisdiction. Internal roads will be required for access to the individual plots owned by members whether they have constructed houses there or not. This also applies to utilities such as water, electricity and drainage. The society will have expenditure in constructing and maintaining these services. Members who have not yet constructed their houses cannot be exempted from paying for these expenditures.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register