Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Forced to resign as a teacher over petty reasons!

I was employed in a popular school as Primary teacher on contractual basis for 1 year.Contract said that in case of resignation or termination,15 days notice period will be given.

I was v.hard working and loved kids,but sometimes strict as there's pressure to keep pin drop silence in classroom.But there were some strange "rules" that I found unjust.Moreover I was victimized through politics of parents and colleagues and asked to leave with 3 months of joining only.I was asked to resign myself,else I will be terminated .Below were the reasons.

1. I'm not so social,but reserved.

2. I look "different".Actually I dressed simply while other teachers dressed up very glamorously,as if coming to a party.On weekends they dressed up in provocative very tight jeans or kurtas,that even senior students stared at them and giggled.Once a senior colleague remarked that I should wear "better" clothes,although my clothes are decent and simple.

3. I'm a separated woman and this was known to them.They related my reserved nature to some "abnormality" and said the same to my parents who had met the principal, begging her to give me one more chance to continue.

4. In my class there was a retarded girl with speech problem.When I joined this school her mum requested me to give her a bit more attention,to which I agreed.She also took my phone no.When my colleagues came to know,they stopped me from interacting with her as she plays politics and often instigates other parents towards teachers.I was also told not to give too much attention to her child,but only average,else other children will suffer.

So I had to follow them,being new.This was unknown to this parent and she thought I'm neglectful.So she instigated all parents against me,even though her daughter really liked me as I loved her a lot and always liked sitting with me in school bus.

5. After the above episode,my seniors instructed me not to entertain any parent who comes to meet me but send them to coordinator,as it's disallowed.I did the same.Later this create furore against parents who were unawre of any such instructions to me.

On being asked to resign,when I tried to explain to my coordinator that I was asked not to interact with parents,she did not give me any chance to clarify,but asked me to leave.

6. Once I gave a very light slap to a kid who was not doing his work.Otherwise I love him a lot,for which his mum has also thanked me personally.After this episode his parents came and told me strictly I should not do so and I agreed readily.This thing got amicably settled and the kid opened up with me again.Suddenly 1 month later other parents who had by now turned against me(as I never interacted with them)gave a letter that I'm cruel to kids,which is utterly wrong.On all festivals these kids have given me sweet gifts..If i was cruel they would not have done so.Also whenever a kid cried I hugged him and always appreciated  weak kids who showed even slight improvement.

5. I was instructed that in this 6 hour daily job,I'm disallowed to sit at my teacher's seat.Even when children are writing in notebooks,I have to keep standing and go to each child one by one to ensure they are writing.I have backache.So I used to sit at my seat and call them one by one to my seat to check their work.It never affected their performance.Yet this was made an issue,as to why I "sat" in classrooms,when it's disallowed.They expected us to stand continously for 5-6 hrs.

6. Teachers get tiffin break only when kids go out for games period.If they don't go out due to any reason,we have to see them and avoid eating oor own tiffins.Once kids did not go out.So only after finishing my work, I was drinking tea in classroom.My senior saw me and scolded why I was having it,& reported to principal.

7. We don't return children their copies after cheacking them,but keep in classroom only.2-3 times by mistake few kids took their noebooks home.This irriated the parents and they fought loudly with my coordinator over this.2 days later I was asked to leave.

8. I was simply asked to leave without giving clarifications.I also had to hear a rude remark from principal that "I lack maternal instinct".The principal simply got reports about me from parents and colleagues.She never examined me personally.

9. If I was abnormal and cruel why did they not make out after 5-6 rounds of interview that I cleared for getting this job?A panel of people took interview.How did my nature escape their perceptions and intellect?

10. Other teachers are very strict with kids and talk very badly when they do not know the answer to any question.Under me,they were learning good conversational skills also in English,which my seniors don't know as they never let me clarify anything.

Kindly let me know pointwise only if these reasons are good enough to force anyone to leave,because after working here I feel they expect a human to work like a robot with absolutely no room for minor errors also.

Please give me legal advice as to what I should do,and what my legal rights are.

Thanks

Learning

5 Replies

Legal Fighter (Advocate)     02 February 2011

don't loose your heart. everybody is a different human being and being differnt can't be reason to make you resign. I am sure you can find some other job and don't be worried about all these.

(Guest)

Sir,It's not so easy.I am jobless for many months now.I haven't found any job yet as I have crossed 31 yrs.

I have not resigned yet,although I have stopped attending this school as per their instructions.

Therefore please give me a legal advice pointwise,so that I can know my rights.

If I'm in the right,I may also claim my right to go back to this school.It's no use joining any other school.It's the same story everywhere.After all people in India can't do withour playing politics

So please advise me.

Kshiteej Anokar (Advocate)     02 February 2011

Monica, listen firstly legal battles are endless, some times u get the teeth when nothing to eat. it is very pitiable story but u can take the lesson from it. Though u have not resigned but there are no chances that u may againg join the school. In some circumstances if u joined or took recorce of law, then also the management will be non co-operative to u. in my opinion u must give up the thought to take a legal battle, because in that event u may be defamed by the management, so u will not get employment anywhere. again sorry to say, from which u hve been removed, several others are working, it means that, u may be wrong. Sorry again if i hurt u. Such type of incident took place with my friend, and i was the reason for her removal, i visited her in school hours and hence show cause notice was given to her, on which i adviced her not to reply just resign. For ur kind information, we applied for permission to run the convent to education dept. and now we are the managers of the convent school. It may help u.

(Guest)

Please reply pointwise.I want to fight out now.Cannot tolerate this injustice any more.

I avoided interviews in all other schools.These people took 5 rounds of interview,and on each interveiw day they instructed us to come early morning at 8.But they always started the interviewiewing only after 11:30 AM.I used to waste 6-7 hrs. at this school.I could not attend interviews of other schools because all time used to get wasted here.

And now they asked me to leave withing 3 months only,due to above reasons.

So please clarify pointwise,before I take legal steps.

Thanks in anticipation.

***************************************************************************************************************************************

I am very much hurt because of injustice.I was a very honest and hard worker.Still......

Now what do I do?There's no income in my family.Only my mother(retiring in 2 yrs) works.Dad has no pension!

In india,an incapable person survives in a job who has a lot of backing.But a hard worker who's sincere is usually thrown out not because of any poor perforrmance,but because of politics.That's why India is going down the drains.

Kirti Kar Tripathi (lawyer)     11 February 2011

Dear Monica,

I am sorry to advise you under the present curcumstance you hace no remady  under the law the reasons for the same are

firstly  No law is available in india, which give protection to a teacher working in the private insitution. Thus you have no specific forum to get your right enforced. However, you can file civil suit but in that civil suit to reinstatement is not possible as contract of personal service can not be specifically enforced under the. You can claim only damages and compensation under that suit that to for the period of contract entered between you and management. But it will require payment of court fee and time. Practically it will be more painful then not to seek remady.

secondly as you has stated your appointment was contractual, even in the circumstances state above, the same was liable to be exausted afyer expiry of contractual period and in that circumstance too you can not claim lein on the job.

Thus as a brother my advise is forget all these thing and try to get another job, which may be suited to you as well your circumstances.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register