IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

SHWETA HEBBAR   22 February 2023

Forced to leave matrimont house by husband and in laws

I was thrown out of my matrimony house by husband and in laws with in 1 month of marriage due to dowry. I lodged a written complaint in police station but that police officer who was incharge of my complaint harrased me a lot and was taking my husbands support.. She didn't take any complaint and asked me to go for mutual consent divorce. It's been 5 years we are staying seperately. And he has filed divorce case in court after 1 yr of marriage the case is going on. Due to anger I sent my husband and in laws abusive messages. Wanted to know certain things:

1. Is sending abusive messages to husband and in laws is cognizable or non cognizable offence? 

2. What is the time limit to lodge 498a after seperation? 

3. If the time has barrred to lodge police complaint now.. Can i move to court for filing section 156 (3)? 

Please let me know. 



 2 Replies

anubhav Bhatt   22 February 2023

Dear Client, in that circumstance
1. It's depends on what kind of messages are sent.
2. Limitations defined in Cr.P.C.
3. Yes, you can approach the court you have right.
for more clarification, you may contact us, and then I'll explain properly about your case.
Advocate Anurag Bhatt
High Court
📱 9198889990.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     23 February 2023

Sending offensive messages amounts to cruelty, a ground for divorce.


Consult and engage a local prudent lawyer to form proper opinion, advise and proceed as required under the circumstances.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query