LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rohit (Technical Engineer)     01 August 2012

False dowry case before marriage


I am basically from Hyderabad but I have been living in Australia from the past 4 years, I got engaged to a girl from MP a few months ago. However, as we started communicating to each other, I found various facts about the girl and her family which were not disclosed to us earlier. The girl's family claimed that they were basically from Rajasthan and that he was working as a MD in a multinational company in Bhopal. Later we discovered that they were not from rajasthan but are from Bihar and that the girl's father is working as a Clerk in a PSU in Katni district of MP. The girl also revealed that she was earlier engaged to another guy but the wedding was called off due to a dowry demand form the giy's family and she also stated that she is still interested in that Guy as they had a physical relationship and also that she is still in touch with the guy. She also disclosed that she got ready to marry me only after her father forced her to do so.


After knowing all these facts, we decided to call off the wedding and communicated the same to the girl's family. Now, the girls family has logged a false complaint against me and my father in Katni police station that we were demanding dowry and we cancelled the wedding as they could not meet our dowry requirements.


We have received a call and summon from MP police asking us to appear in the police station. This case is totally fake as we never demanded dowry. I am earning around INR 3 Lakhs per month here in australia and I do not need any dowry. Moreover, I have gifted an expensive diamond ring to the girl worth 35,000 and also transfered INR 12500 to the girls account from Melbourne as a birthday gift to her.


Please help me and let me know what we need to do in order to respolve this case. I cannot marry the girl at any cost as she is not a right one and the family too is not good.


 6 Replies

Anis (Asst. Manager - Sales)     01 August 2012

Do not go to the Police Station. Send a CRIMINAL LAWYER to find out whether FIR is registered or not. If FIR is registered then apply for Anticipatory Bail for you and other family members who have been named in the FIR. Also let me know where you and your father are at this time. Accordingly we can advise you. No need to worry. Everything will be fine.

Rohit (Technical Engineer)     01 August 2012

Thanks for your reply. An FIR has not been filed yet. Only a complaint has been received by the police and they have called us to question us and to hear our side of the story. I am in Australia but my Father is in hyderabad where my family lives.

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (     01 August 2012

Hi Rohit,

Such cases are common in India, if for some reason or fraud played upon groom's family - the latter call the marriage off, it is given the colour of dowry. You can try googling the case of nisha sharma - you overnight became a heroine for calling off her marriage, and getting her prospective groom behind the bars on false dowry allegations whereas in truth she was having an affair with somebody and didnt want the marriage to materialise. The cases, apart from the initial trouble, later collapse like a pack of cards, especially with evidence which you have. It would be a good idea at this stage to intimate the authorities of the correct fact scenario/your side of the coin, and go in for an anticipatory bail. 

priyanka (microbiologist)     10 April 2014

sir I lived in delhi too. one of my friend is thretend by false dowry fir even though he is just engaged few months back ...he is forced to get marrind .when he denied to get married girl's parents threat him and his family.kya in sab se bacchne ka koi rashta h .plz help him reply as soon as possible .shaadi isi 19 ko hai.plz help me

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     11 April 2014

@ Priyanka start new thread and furnish the following information as well.


  1. when was your friend engaged?
  2. when did he refuse for marriage?
  3. why did he refuse for marriage?

Arun Singh   27 November 2018

Is it possible to file a case when only talks of marriage are going on? No roka or ceremony done

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register