LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jagdish Kumar   07 November 2021

False 498a and section 3&4 of dp

My brother-in-law's wife has falsely included me and my wife in a 498a and Section 3&4 DP act case as A2 and A3. A1 being my brother-in-law and A4 and A5 being his parents. An FIR has been registered and all have been given station bail. The case is under investigation. There were no counselling sessions or mediations of any sort. After my brother-in-law's wife filed a complaint, an FIR was filed, without even asking for my brother-in-law's story.

My brother-in-law got married 14 months ago and me and wife couldn't even attend the marriage due to COVID. We weren't even part of the pre-marriage talks. My wife and I stay in a different city. My wife visited her home after 2.5 years and stayed there for 20 days, during which my brother-in-law's wife started quarrelling for her father-in-law's property. She threatened to leave if she wasn't transferred a specific amount of money. My wife and I tried to calm her down and set things right but she didn't listen. When my father-in-law stated that he doesn't want to give her his money, she created ruckus, left the home and filed this case. My brother-in-law's wife filed this case on me and my wife just because we were present in the house when this quarrel was happening.

My questions are:

1. Can my wife and I go for quashing now? The charhesheet hasn't been filed yet.
  2. Will the fact that we don't stay in the city where the case is filed going to help us during quashing? We just came here with our kids to see my in-laws, but got pulled into this mess.
  3. What legal steps can me and my wife take against her for putting us through all this?

Learning

6 Replies

Anusha Singh   08 November 2021

As per your query it is understood that you need information regarding the quashing of FIR.

Yes, you can file for quashing of FIR even if the chargesheet is not filed.

False FIR or complaints simply means making false allegations with malicious intention by lodging FIR or complaints based on falsifying the facts and fabricating the circumstances in order to persecute the other person.

FIR quashing is the petition filed before High Court for quashing the FIR and all related proceedings against the accused. An FIR an be quashed by the High Court if the Court is satisfied that the accused is falsely implicated and FIR is bogus and frivolous.

In certain matrimonial disputes, women file false complaints of cruelty by husband and relatives of husband under Section 498A and Section 406 of Indian Penal Code. However, later the parties to the matrimonial dispute enter into a mutual settlement. They generally reduce it into writing and prepare a Mutual Compromise Deed containing all the terms and conditions of the settlement. The parties have to be present before the High Court to record their statements and for the identification.

The parties can enter into a mutual settlement before the Court where the proceedings are going on or independently. In cases of divorce by mutual consent parties can attend the Court after their divorce proceedings are over. The Courts, generally accept the same and pass an order for quashing of FIR on the basis of this Compromise.

The fact that you visit their house rarely and live in a different place will help you in quashing of FIR.

PREETI GUPTA & ANR. V. STATE OF JHARKHAND (2010)

FACTS

The complainant Manisha was married to Kamal Poddar in the year 2006. In 2007, she alleged her husband and her husband’s relatives for demanding dowry and assaulting her physically. Thereafter, a complaint was filed under Section 498A and others of IPC.

The present appeal is filed by Preeti Gupta, the married sister-in-law and her husband against the impugned judgment passed by the High Court of Jharkhand.

JUDGEMENT

The Court observed that the tendency of implicating husband and all his immediate relations is not uncommon. At times, even after the conclusion of the criminal trial, it is difficult to ascertain the real truth. Hence, the courts have to be extremely careful and cautious in dealing with these complaints and must take pragmatic realities into consideration while dealing with matrimonial cases.

In the present case, the allegations of harassment of husband’s close relations who had been living in different cities and never visited or rarely visited the place where the complainant resided would have an entirely different complexion. The allegations of the complaint are required to be scrutinized with great care and circumspection. Therefore, in the interest of justice, the court directed to quash all the charges filed against the appellants as the same could not be proved.

After the FIR is quashed and the getting discharged from the Court, the acquitted person may pray to the Court for instituting criminal proceedings against the complainant.

In such a case the legal remedies available to the acquitted are:

Filling a complaint under section 182 IPC against the person who has provided false information, with intention or knowledge or believe it to be false, or knowing it to be likely that he/she will thereby cause, such public servant:

1.    to do or omit anything which such public servant ought not to do or omit if the true state of facts respecting which such information is given were known by him, or

2.    to use the lawful power of such public servant to the injury or annoyance of any person, shall be punished with:

·      Imprisonment of either descripttion for a term which may extend to six months, or with fine which may extend to one thousand rupees, or with both.

·      Filing of application before the court under section 156(3) CrPC

·      Filing a private complaint under section 200 CrPC for false charges of offence with intent to cause injury to him, or institution of any criminal proceeding against him, or falsely charging him with an offence, knowing that there is no just or lawful ground for such proceeding.

·      Filing a complaint against him under section 211 IPC, whereby the complainant who has made false allegations and lodged fabricated FIR shall be punished with imprisonment of either descripttion for a term which may extend to two years, or with fine, or with both. If such criminal proceeding be instituted on a false charge of an offence punishable with death, imprisonment for life, or imprisonment for seven years or upwards, then he shall be punished with imprisonment of either descripttion for a term which may extend to seven years, and shall also be liable to fine.

·      May file before the Court for compensation under section 250 CrPC for accusation without reasonable cause the provisions of this section shall apply to summons and warrant cases also. Under section 250(2) if the Magistrate is satisfied that there was no reasonable ground for making the accusation, may, for reasons to be recorded, make an order that compensation to such amount, not exceeding the amount of fine he is empowered to impose, as he may determine, be paid by such complainant or informant to the accused or to each or any of them. Further under section 250(3) the Magistrate may, by the order directing payment of the compensation under sub-section (2), further order that, in default of payment, the person ordered to pay such compensation shall undergo simple imprisonment for a period not exceeding thirty days.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Anusha Singh

Jagdish Kumar   08 November 2021

Thank you, Anusha madam. This is really helpful and confidence-boosting. 

1 Like

P. Venu (Advocate)     09 November 2021

To my understanding there is no case pending against you so long as the investigation is completed and you are served the summons the trail. 

The circumstances for station bail lacks clarity. 

Jagdish Kumar   09 November 2021

Sir, there were no mediations or counselling after my brother-in-law's wife filed a complaint. My brother-in-law was asked to come to the police station to tell his side of the story. Please note that the FIR was already lodged even before his first visit to the police station, without hearing his side of the story. He was then asked to come with the remaining poeple named in the complaint for station bail. 

P. Venu (Advocate)     10 November 2021

What is the relevance of station bail when they have not been arrested? And even if arrested, 498A is a non-bailable offence; police cannot grant bail, only the Court can.

sinhashailendra, sinha.   05 December 2021

can you suggest me a best lawyer for fighting false 498a

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register