LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

P Gupta (Practice)     09 March 2010

Evicting a tenant

I am the owner of a society flat in Gurgaon. I rented out my flat on 11 months lease. Lease did not have a renewal clause. A new 11 months lease was signed after expiry of first lease. There was no gap in the two leases. New lease also does not have renewal clause. So the two leases are from April to March and then from March to Feb. Tenant has paid all rents by cheques.

I served a notice to tenant to vacate the flat and that lease will not be renewed. But he did not vacate and asked for more time verbally. Is it really necessary to send a notice when the lease has no renewal clause?

He is still in the flat and paying rent by cheque since 2 months. Probably I should not take cheques or even if I take I should not deposit them in account so that I can claim that he is not paying rent. Right? Can I do that? Does this help? Well, I have 2 months of rent as security and monthly rent payment separate, which are also documented in the lease, but he might claim the security, later, as rent adjustment even if I don’t deposit the cheques. Can he?

Is it not my right that I have my flat back after expiry of the lease? Do I need to have a reason like I want to occupy the property, some work to be done, …… to ask/force a tenant to vacate? Well I, the owner, am an NRI who is going to visit Gurgaon in August for one month. Can this be the reason? Various matters related to leasing are handled by my parents.

How should I proceed?

Thanks.

Learning

1 Replies

Bobby Mani T (Lawyer)     16 April 2010

Once you lease a building to a tenant, he can be evicted only according to the provisions of Rent Control Act.  You cannot evict a tenant on the ground that the lease period is over.   Once the period of lease is over the lease is renewed from month to month untill terminated as per law. 

The security deposit need only be returend only on vacation of the building.

It is surely your right to have your flat back, but not on expiry of the lease but only on an order from the rent control court for that effect. for that you have to satisfy the court any of the ground stipulated in the Rent Control Act.   YOu are an NRI or your recent visit to Gurgaon are not a ground or even if it is you cannot force a tenant on that ground.  You have to proove it before a Rent Control Court.

Ask your parents to file a Rent Control Petition.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register