LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jitender Sawhney (HR/Admin Officer)     20 July 2013

Employment

Sir , need ur valable suggestion , please Help.

I was working with a company as Officer HR/admin since 2011 as confirmed employee. From few months management behaviour changed towards me. On 5th July ,management told me to resign from post, giving false allegation that your work is not upto the mark etc...  Finaly they came with a proposal that they will give me one month Salary if I resign.

Due to so much pressure and allegations, I accepted their offer and resigned on the spot and mentioned the one month salary point in my resignation Letter. The management told me to leave the company on same day (05th of july) Company has not given me any acnowledgement of resgination letter nor they have returned my certificates which are under their custody. Company has given me date of 10th of next month to my Full & Final Settlement. I have sent mail to HR and management of company and requested them to acknowledge my resignation. But they are not answering my mails. Please suggest what steps should I take If the company do not fullfill their One month salary promise or delayed my Full & final Settlement Regards Jitender Sawhney

Learning

5 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     20 July 2013

You could have consulted your lawyer on the first day when company asked you to write your own resignation. Your lawyer could have helped you to structure and draft your representation in a better manner. Being in HR/admin you could have handled the issue and drafted your communications in a better manner to suit you in the long run.

Did the company ever issue any stinker/memo indicating your work is not upto the mark etc... 

You may claim interpretations of the letter submitted by you/statements made by you:

--------“ With reference to my today's meeting with ________, Mr. ___________ and you.”

The company’s officials in company’s office premises demanded and extracted resignation which you had to write then and there.

Asking to write one’s own resignation/extracting resignation by force is offence. Forced resignation can be claimed as deemed termination.

-------“ I have submitted my resignation from my post of Sr. Officer - HR/Admin today (date: 05- July 2013) to Mr. ______,  which he accepted verbally and relieve me from my duties from today itself.

During our discussion,  Sir assured me that my notice period will be waived off and company will give me one month salary extra (for month of July2013).

You have tendered notice of resignation of one month, and company’s official stated that the resignation is accepted with immediate effect and you are relieved from today and notice pay shall be disbursed by the company for the period of one month.

It is almost sure that the company would claim that resignation was submitted by free will of the employee, it was with immediate effect, thus company is not liable to tender any notice pay.

-----“ As instructed to me, I have given handover of my duties / work to you (with a list of files, equipment, documents, system and pending work list).

But Company have not provided me any acknowledgement of my resignation or copy of my charge handover. “

You would need not only acknowledgment but also acceptance of resignation.

Company is under obligation to supply the receipt of handover.

-----‘ Company has not given me any acnowledgement of resgination letter nor they have returned my certificates which are under their custody.’

Has the company issued any acknowledgment of your certificates or do you have any proof, witness, evidence?

If yes your lawyer may opine that you can approach police also and lodge criminal complaint.

The original certificates are property of the employee and company for reason of having employed can not have any lien on it.

You have written yourself as Officer HR/Admin. Check with your lawyer if you would be covered as ‘workman’ under ID act, and ‘employee’ under Shops and Establishments Act as applicable in your state. If yes you can approach them.

The day for payment of FNF dues is usual pay day.

FNF dues:

Employee can approach : labor inspector/o/o Labor commissioner if covered as ‘workman’…,..

Inspector under (Name of State) Shops and Establishments act if covered as ‘Employee’ in the enactment…..

Inspector under Payment of Wages Act: applicable to all employees drawing wages as per definition of wages in the Act up to Rs.18000/pm…………..

Trade unions, employee’s guild/IC’s etc…………….. 

Or Civil Court

There are threads suggesting employees filing criminal complaint u/s 406, 420………..

And 
Approaching the employer as creditors treating unpaid wages as ‘debt on employer’…………

Approach your lawyer with copies of all of your docs, give inputs in person, send quality time, get the merits analyzed and proceed under expert advice of your lawyer.

Your lawyer may still be able to cover the lapses and deficiencies if any whihc may come up while you discuss your case.

IN majority of the cases legal notice by the lawyer succeeds to drills sense into the heads.

There are many threads you may find useful:

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Full-and-final-settlement-pending-from-educomp-sol-84057.asp#.UeGYrNKAqWM

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Performance-incentive-not-paid-83562.asp#.UdxGATuAqWM

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/experts/Service-matters-regarding-notice-period-and-relieving-from-service-403836.asp#.UdxGGDuAqWM

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Regarding-pending-salary-pf-83511.asp#.UdFFcTuAqWM

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Employer-cheated-me-on-f-f-settlement-need-advice-83024.asp#.Uc67HTuAqWM

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Salsry-on-hold-83258.asp#.Uc67STuAqWM

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Salary-not-payed-82310.asp#.UboA-dhVMgs

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Salary-not-payed-82310.asp#.Ubc5P_lVPxp

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Employer-not-paying-salary--82331.asp#.Ubc5qflVPxo

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Non-payment-of-salary-81896.asp#.UbAThNKAqWM

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Full-and-final-settlement-not-paid--76066.asp#.UbAUUNKAqWM

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Non-payment-of-full-final-sattelment-81866.asp#.UbAUwNKAqWM

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Neither-resigned-nor-terminated-salary-unpaid--81683.asp#.UbAVCNKAqWM

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Wages-not-paid-by-employer-81628.asp#.UbAVHdKAqWM

Valuable advice of learned experts/members is sought.

Jitender Sawhney (HR/Admin Officer)     21 July 2013

Dear Sir,

thanks for reply

Frankly speaking ,Due to one  incident where one workman took his Full Final Statement ( as the company has not given any proof of employment to his workmen, which they have shown as daily wages employees) from my custody and now he is threatning to go to labour court.. 

I have submitted one Internal report to the management regarding this incident 

the company fired this guy and due to delay in this Full & Final settlement he took this step. Company has all the video recording how he took the paper. and I have no mistake in that.

That guy himself is not coming to collect his Full & Final payment. and telling us to come to his house for settlement , which the company will not.

Now company is waiting for any action /notice from this guy

Regarding my  resignation

#1 due to so much allegations,I resigned from my post. There is no time to taking any consultation.

company forced me to resign. and I have resigned stating that "Due to my personal reasons I am resigning from my post", but:I have included one line that as pe our discussion , company will pay me one month salary extra in my resignation letter" 

Will this point of extra salary in my resignation letter  is a  plus point in my favour?

Also i have sent them mail , where I have mentioned ,one month extra salary point . And the company is not answering my mail. Will this go in my favour

#2 Company has never given me any written memo on any issue

#3  Yes company has issued me acknowledgement of my certificates.

#4Company has given me time of 10 th  Aug for settlement . Can company hold my Full &Final settlement (in any situation ).

#5 As my salary is Rs 23000, I may not be in workman category. In case of any dispute, should I go to Civil Court.

Will my case strong enough to go in my favour and Can I claim one month extra salary, as promised by management

Please advise

Regards

Jitender

Jitender Sawhney (HR/Admin Officer)     21 July 2013

Dear Sir,

thanks for reply

Frankly speaking ,Due to one  incident where one workman took his Full Final Statement ( as the company has not given any proof of employment to his workmen, which they have shown as daily wages employees) from my custody and now he is threatning to go to labour court.. 

I have submitted one Internal report to the management regarding this incident 

the company fired this guy and due to delay in this Full & Final settlement he took this step. Company has all the video recording how he took the paper. and I have no mistake in that.

That guy himself is not coming to collect his Full & Final payment. and telling us to come to his house for settlement , which the company will not.

Now company is waiting for any action /notice from this guy

Regarding my  resignation

#1 due to so much allegations,I resigned from my post. There is no time to taking any consultation.

company forced me to resign. and I have resigned stating that "Due to my personal reasons I am resigning from my post", but:I have included one line that as pe our discussion , company will pay me one month salary extra in my resignation letter" 

Will this point of extra salary in my resignation letter  is a  plus point in my favour?

Also i have sent them mail , where I have mentioned ,one month extra salary point . And the company is not answering my mail. Will this go in my favour

#2 Company has never given me any written memo on any issue

#3  Yes company has issued me acknowledgement of my certificates.

#4Company has given me time of 10 th  Aug for settlement . Can company hold my Full &Final settlement (in any situation ).

#5 As my salary is Rs 23000, I may not be in workman category. In case of any dispute, should I go to Civil Court.

Will my case strong enough to go in my favour and Can I claim one month extra salary, as promised by management

Please advise

Regards

Jitender

Kumar Doab (FIN)     21 July 2013

You have posted that:

------“Due to one  incident where one workman took his Full Final statement…………………………………from my custody  …………….“

Company has all the video recording how he took the paper. and I have no mistake in that.

#2 Company has never given me any written memo on any issue’

I have submitted one Internal report to the management regarding this incident “

Company has not leveled any charge.

The report should be sufficient. If no reply or question is raised on this report it may be deemed as accepted.

However show the report to your lawyer.

--------“I have resigned stating that "Due to my personal reasons I am resigning from my post"”

How would you now establish the resignation was extracted from you by demand/coercion/force in office by officials of the company and any benefit for having terminated/retrenched/laid off………………………………?

You have not tendered any notice of resignation too…………………………..

You are claiming (verbally) that you were asked to resign and verbally told that in lieu of writing the resignation in the language dictated to you, you would be paid notice pay for having resigned with immediate effect.

It appears that your concern is notice pay alone………………..and you want to rely upon the email you have sent…………………………….

Your lawyer can examine the force in your contentions…………………………………………….

-------“( as the company has not given any proof of employment to his workmen, which they have shown as daily wages employees)”

“he is threatning to go to labour court.. “

“Now company is waiting for any action /notice from this guy……..”

Company should provide accurate proof of employment.

If he is aggrieved this workman can approach trade union, court of his choice……………………..

It is his call to include the names of any/all company’s official who affected his rights.

If FNF statement was to be prepared and dispatched by you then you should have dispatched/supplied it under proof of acknowledgment.

If you were holding it due to verbal orders made to you, even then you may get charged for being at fault.

Cover your ground.

HR personnel get swayed and become party to unfair practices………………………

Seniors know how to play game better……………………………..than juniors.

------“the company fired this guy and due to delay in this Full & Final settlement he took this step. “

Company is expected to supply his FNF statement/payment of FNF dues by effective mode of communication (usually redg. post) at his address in company’s records.

--------“Will this point of extra salary in my resignation letter  is a  plus point in my favour?

Also i have sent them mail , where I have mentioned ,one month extra salary point . And the company is not answering my mail. Will this go in my favour”

If you have resigned with immediate effect by your free will, you are expected to tender notice pay if any as per your contract of employment signed by you by your free will.

Why should company tender the payment if any official of the company made a verbal communication to arrange notice pay to an employee who resigned with immediate effect……………..

There is no promise on record in writing.

You shall need to substantiate your contentions.

While on the contrary employee is liable to tender notice pay………………..

-------“#3  Yes company has issued me acknowledgement of my certificates.”

Company can not keep original certificates as collateral for employment.

You are out of job and would need the certificates to be able to secure another employment/source of livelihood.

Have you submitted any demand for supplying you the certificates?

Let this communication also be drafted in consultation with your lawyer.

Keeping original certificates of the employee may work in your favor.

Your lawyer may opine that this was a solid reason for you to get coerced/ burdened to write the language of choice (of company represented by its officials in the meeting) in resignation…………………….

If the matter lands up before lawful authority/ in court of law………………………………….court of law shall decide.

Some employees by virtue of their position/designation achieve some handle on employer.

If you have any such handle, you may approach good offices of your appointing authority/MD/CEO/Company Secretary/officials that can fetch you relief sought by you.

-------“#5 As my salary is Rs 23000, I may not be in workman category. In case of any dispute, should I go to Civil Court.”

Designation alone or salary alone may not decide employee shall be covered as ‘workman’ as in ID Act and ‘employee’ as in Shops and Establishments Act or not………….

Shops and Establishments Act of many states are employee friendly……………..

Your lawyer may ask you a set of structured questions and may opine on you being covered as workman/employee………………………

It is felt that HR personnel may not be covered as ‘workman’, however may get some relief as ‘employee’.

However let your lawyer's opinion be final on it.

If FNF statement supplied by the company to you is erratic, show it your lawyer……………and do not accept it……………………..and reject it………………….

The above is a heartfelt opinion only. On line discussion have its own limitations.

Approach your lawyer with copies of all of your docs, give inputs in person, provide full information, don’t conceal anything, spend quality time, get the merits analyzed and proceed under expert advice of your lawyer. Let your lawyer's opinion be final.

Finally: you may proceed as deemed fit at your end.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     23 July 2013

I believe that what Mr Kumar Doab advised in free may not be available even on payment.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register