LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kumar Prof (None)     24 July 2022

Emotional and sentimental blackmail video on youtube for money

One popular YouTuber uploaded a video emotionally blackmailing and misleading his subscribers for money. He asked his viewers/subscribers to send money to his bank account which is illegal according to Youtube Guidelines.

He put a youtube thumbnail "I WILL DIE" and manipulated the viewers by saying emotional and sentimental words. After completion of 24hrs he got more than 500K views, he removed that video saying that he got the money. Many innocent and poor people sent money to his bank account by using the UPI/NEFT payment system.

Being a top YouTuber he's had close to 1M subscribers and earned more than 1.5CR in two years as per the Youtube Ad revenue analytics. 

Questions:

1. I want to report his channel to youtube but he removed the video after 24hrs.
  2. Is there any other way to report it online to Cyber Police for an investigation? He's from another City residing in India I know in which city his resident was.

I need some advice from experts on what should be done on this issue. 

Thank you

Learning

2 Replies

Mahi Manchanda   26 July 2022

Hi,

You can file a case under section 503 for criminal intimidation.

503: Whoever threatens another with any injury to his person, reputation or property, or to the person or reputation of any one in whom that person is interested, with intent to cause alarm to that person, or to cause that person to do any act which he is not legally bound to do, or to omit to do any act which that person is legally entitled to do, as the means of avoiding the execution of such threat, commits criminal intimidation.

Another section you can look into is section 383 of IPC for extortion of money.

Whoever intentionally puts any person in fear of any injury to that person, or to any other, and thereby dishonestly induces the person so put in fear to deliver to any person any property, or valuable security or anything signed or sealed which may be converted into a valuable security, commits “extortion”.

1. You can still file a case against the person.

2.According to the IT Act, a cyber crime comes under the purview of global jurisdiction which means that a cyber crime complaint can be registered with any of the cyber cells in India, irrespective of the place where it was originally committed or the place where the victim is currently residing/ staying.

I hope this helps.

Have a nice day.

arul prakash   28 July 2022

file complaint against him before cyber police..if they never proceeded to investigate then file Public interest litigation before ur state's high court..

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register