LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Roni Mondal   05 April 2020

Duplicate neft

Hi, I am bank employee, due to some technical error in the system a duplicate neft has been processed from someone else money, lying in our office account for processing, the beneficiary account credited twice. From 2 month the beneficiary telling that I will return the excess amount but till now he did not return and he did not have enough balance in his account he spend all the money. I also informed my head office about the incidents repeatedly but they are not taking any steps regarding the matter. We do not able to credit another beneficiary account from whom money the duplicate neft was generated. Now he will filing a case against our bank. Please guide me what to do. Because our head office seniors are completely ignoring the issue after repeated reminders given by me. I also want to note that this was happens from IT operations department, I am a general banking officer and I do not have any IT background, but I have to do all IT Work without any proper training. And this is completely technical error, i didn't process the neft manually.please help me.

Learning

5 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     06 April 2020

Make an approach to your recognized Association and contact a local advocate for proceeding against the culprit and the bank.   Preserve all the correspondence, as tomorrow they may also issue charge sheet you for negligence as retaliation.  Being a Bank officer, through your valuable customers approach SP and pressurize the culprit to execute an undertaking letter and if possible provide a personal loan after all formalities and reverse the entry.  The issue requires deft handling with the support of the Manager and other colleagues.  (I am surprised as to why the real beneficiary is remaining silent for so many days)

Roni Mondal   06 April 2020

Thank you for your valuable suggestions. Please advice me, as I'm posted in IT department under head office, should I file the case in person or let my seniors in Head office to do so as the Bank filing the case?

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     06 April 2020

You are an educated official and my post is in simple English.

The money was entrusted to the Bank for sending it to someone.  The Bank has remitted to some other account by mistake.  Bank has the liability to compensate the sender and the original receiver should receive and the culprit should return the amount to the bank, the bank can remit it to the right payee.

As an employee, you have worked for the bank.  The Bank suffered the loss.   It is the Bank that has to file a complaint.  Refer the complaint to Vigilance and they might have seen hundreds of such cases in a year, and they know how to recover by making a complaint to police.  

When a reply was provided, go through the reply thoroughly and do not deviate from the topic and raise new issues.

Your duty as an employee is to inform the mistake to your higher authority and seek his further instructions for recovery through the legal course, and think as to how to save yourself as this amounts to gross negligence.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     07 April 2020

The bank official handling NEFT and IT is personally liable for making good actual receipant, which may be recovered (subsequently) from the account / accountholder who have received the amount erronously.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     07 April 2020

I did not find any dispute involved in the query for consideration and obligation of legal experts, it is a procedural dispute between bank, its employees and their customer (s). 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register