LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Harshita   01 June 2021

Dowry

At the time of my marriage my husband said - ask your parents to do fixed deposit it will help you in future- will it consitute dowry.

After marriage he asked for furniture n all. Now he is not in touch with me since marriage

Learning

5 Replies

nikita jain   01 June 2021

FD is in your name and its only for you then its not a dowry. if he is asking you to get furniture or any sort of things to you to get from your family it will amount to dowry, unless and until you dont deny to get. after your denial still he force you to get money or any material from your family will amount to dowry.

Sankaranarayanan (Advocate)     02 June 2021

State the facts clear.
What it means "he is not touch with you since from marriage"?
What about the fate of Deposit? is the said amount been deposited by your parents the deposit laid on  your name or joint names?

SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900 (Advocate)     02 June 2021

Hello,

The demand of your husband may be dowry. But if he is not touching you is cruelty. Try to resolve the dispute by involving elders of family members of both sides. If the dispute is not resolved then take appropriate legal action. 

Vasundhara Singh (Student)     04 June 2021

Hello, Greetings of the day!  

The demand of the husband to fix a deposit under the wives’ name will not constitute dowry as the fixed deposit will be in her name and she can use it as per her wish without any control of the husband.   

Dowry is defined under Section 2 of Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961:  dowry’ means any property or valuable security given or agreed to be given either directly or indirectly:  

1. by one party to a marriage to the other party to the marriage; or  

1. by the parents of either party to a marriage or by any other person, to either party to the marriage or any other person; at or before or any time after the marriage in connection with the marriage of said parties but does not include dower or Mahr in the case of persons to whom the Muslim Personal Law (Shariat) applies.  

As per the facts provided by you, asking for furniture or any kind of valuables can be treated as a demand for dowry and if the husband is not in touch with his wife after marriage it is clear that he is demanding dowry and can be brought under the purview of Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961 and be treated accordingly.   

Best Regards,    

Vasundhara Singh   

Law Student  

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     10 June 2021

Originally posted by : Harsh*ta
At the time of my marriage my husband said - ask your parents to do fixed deposit it will help you in future- will it consitute dowry. After marriage he asked for furniture n all. Now he is not in touch with me since marriage

what else do you think is dowry?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register