IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Dnyaneshwar Vaidya (Officer)     16 October 2020

Domestic violence act

Dear Sir,


I got the notice from my wife under protection from Domestic Violence Act 2005 section 12, 14, 19, 20, 22 & 23 and directed to be present in front of Honorable Court in November 2020. Can any lawyersclub member help me to understand the above said section & can I represent my case himself in front Honorable Court?


Thank You


 5 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     17 October 2020

Notice stated to have been issued by your wife under section 12, 14, 19, 20, 22 & 23 of the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005 can be ignored as she may or may not be aggrieved person..

It is the Court to issue notice to respondent(s) which is to be attended in person or through lawyer..

It would be better to seek service of a local prudent lawyer for better appreciation of facts./ documents, professional guidance and necessary proceeding

Hemant Agarwal (ha21@rediffmail.com Mumbai : 9820174108)     17 October 2020

1.  You have option to represent yourself in Court, WHENEVER the Court sends proper summons to you.

2. However, in such matters it is advisable to represent yourself thru an experienced lawyer.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal
VISIT: www.chshelpforum.com

Dnyaneshwar Vaidya (Officer)     17 October 2020

Thank You Sir

P. Venu (Advocate)     17 October 2020

You need to respond only when summons is received from the Court. Mere intimation from the complainant is of no consequence.

You can appear in person; but appearing in person and presenting the case is highly challenging.


Though you can appear in person, it would be advantageous for you to engage a competent Lawyer to represent you.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query