LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Nitin (Trainee)     15 September 2011

Domestic violence

I am going for love marriage. We are from different caste. My parents are ready for our marriage. When we told to her parents, then they forcefully took her to home and not allowing her to do job. Since 7 months she is at home. They took her mobile; disconnect their landline phone to avoid our contact. Also they not allow any phone call from our friends, classmates and her relatives also. They emotionally blackmail her; we will not allow u do marriage with me at any cost and sometimes slap her. They not allow her to go outside home. We request them to allow her for job, but they refused. Can I file a case of domestic violence against them? Regarding not allowing marriage and harassing her. Please help me. Will court or police handle her to me after filing case? Please tell me in detail about it. Whether i will go to police or court first?


 1 Replies

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     15 September 2011

Better to go to the court first under the DV Act, on the ground of economic violence [no allowing to take up employment] and emotional violence [not allowing to marry a man of her choice]. The court won't handle her to you, but would pass suitable order restraining her parents from commiting the above violence after hearing the case.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query