Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Richard Levi   07 May 2021

Does a husband have to return gifts received by him?

A hindu friend of mine had a query. He is getting divorced. He is wants to know if a husband has to return gifts, a gold ring and chain he received during marriage from girls family while getting divorce ? Or his gifts are his own and court cant compel him to give them back. They are not dowry, these are gifts received. Please give views.

Learning

8 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     08 May 2021

It is part of dowry / stridhan which wife is entitled to be returned / compensated on being divorced.

Why you are asking this question ?

SIVARAMAPRASAD KAPPAGANTU (Retired Manager)     08 May 2021

"...He is getting divorced..." What exactly it means.

Does it mean he filed a divorce case against his wife or vice versa.

Are they still living together?

Was there any document stating that so and so items are given to the Bridegroom as a gift during the marriage?

Sankaranarayanan (Advocate)     08 May 2021

It should be returned as pointed by Vashista ji  i do endorse with him

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     08 May 2021

Every item/goods/thing which bridegroom received on occasion of ring ceremony/marriage are deemed to be part of dowry and has to be returned.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     08 May 2021

In general the gifts are not returned to the donor.

However in the matrimonial disputes the wives can take a differnt stand that the gifts given to husband was part of the dowry item hence their  demand for return would be  accepted by courts, hence why do you want to make fuss about it.

when the married wife itself is leaving your company why do you want  to retain her articles with you anymore. 

Raghav Arora   08 May 2021

I think under the Dowry Prohibition Act, until and unless an item is on the list prepared at the time of marriage and signed by the bride and the bridegroom are to be returned or at least are the items that may be contended for to be returned. 

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     03 February 2022

he has to return everything he got.

wife does not have to return even a straw she got from him or his relatives.

PALLABH HALDAR   03 February 2022

Absolutely 

The court will issue orders if you don't return.

It a legal procedure that needs to be followed.All my fellow advocates have clearly explained this.Kudos to them

Regards

Advocate Pallabh Haldar

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More