Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Do matrimonial laws REALLY FAVOR WOMEN?

Page no : 12

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     29 January 2011

The news article below is supporting the above thread,ie,DO MATRIMONIAL LAWS REALLY FAVOUR WOMEN?

Yours, mine or ours?

Give her what is rightfully hers

Marriages are still traps for 21st century women because it is very hard for divorced or separated women to get their share of marital property. Deepti Priya Mehrotra reports

Do divorced/separated women in India have a right to marital property? How do they support themselves especially if they are among the 74.3 per cent of full-time housewives with no independent source of income? Many need to support not only themselves but also their children.

We may have stepped into the second decade of the 21st century, but some old issues that dog women just don’t seem to go away, notably their continuing vulnerability within marriage. This was the theme of a seminar on ‘Economic rights and entitlements of separated and divorced women in India, including child support and right to marital property’, organised in Delhi recently.

Mumbai-based lawyer-scholar Flavia Agnes says, “Women have no rights until they make them happen! Divorced and separated women ought to have a right to marital property, but in practice they are seldom able to exercise this right.”

Keerti Singh, a seasoned lawyer and activist, says: “The right to marital property is based on the woman’s contribution to maintaining home and children over the years. It is not a dole or a charity. It is her right.”

Yet, this right is consistently and flagrantly violated in every part of the country. According to a research study by the Economic Research Foundation (ERF), New Delhi, done by Keerti Singh, a wife’s entitlements upon divorce or separation are extremely limited under all Indian laws.

The ERF’s 250-page report, entitled ‘Economic rights and entitlements of separated and divorced women’, states: “In India, in the absence of any laws for division of marital property, when a separation or divorce takes place the male spouse/ husband usually walks away with all the moveable and immovable assets of the household.”
This startling and stark revelation is part of the reason that women do not walk out of abusive marriages. Despite high levels of violence within marriage, wives tend to continue in the institution because it at least promises a modicum of survival, particularly if there are children. However, such survival takes place in situations of compromised dignity. Daily injustice becomes a routine affair, so much so that women become numb and carry on stoically, hoping things will improve one day. Ironically enough, most divorces or separations in India are at the behest of the husband. Not only does he have an upper hand within the marriage, he also has an upper hand when it comes to the dissolution of marriage.

Most of the property remains in the hands of the man or of his parental family. Interestingly, the study shows that while 23 per cent of women owned land during their marriage, only six per cent continued to own land after separation/divorce. Although the husband and his parental family had bought land only in 39 per cent of the cases, they managed to grab more land in another 30 per cent cases.

Of the women who owned vehicles before marriage (car, scooter/ motorcycle or bicycle), in 46 per cent cases she or her parents had bought the vehicle. Yet, a whopping majority of the vehicles — 77 per cent — remained with the male spouse after the break up.
From her years of experience with divorce and maintenance cases, Agnes analysed the roots that lie within a male-oriented family system. “In a marriage both are deemed to be partners. There is a tacit understanding that whatever the husband has is also the wife’s. But, in fact, whatever the husband has is his own and doesn’t automatically become hers. Most of India has patrilocal families and the woman remains an outsider while the man is the central figure,” she explains.

There are many blind spots in the law. For instance, the woman has to provide evidence regarding her (former) husband’s income. Ninety per cent of women interviewed said the onus of proving his income should not fall on them — rather this responsibility should be shouldered by the court. Lawyers and researchers concur that it is impractical to expect the woman to gather evidence regarding the income of her estranged husband. Even within marriage, a substantial percentage of women are kept in the dark about their husband’s income. Upon divorce or separation strenuous efforts are usually made to conceal income and wealth. In propertied families there is a great deal of activity around the time of a man’s divorce. Large swathes of his property and other assets are transferred to the names of his brothers or other parental family members. This effectively circumvents the possibility of reasonable division of assets with a just proportion going to the wife. Tax returns are routinely doctored in any case.
Goa’s Albertina Almeida, a practicing lawyer for nearly two decades, says that although Goan law seems to promise equality to women, with a common civil code granting equal rights in marital and parental property to them, these are nullified by one provision: Control of property is vested with males. “Gender-neutral laws are not sufficient in a patriarchal context. Laws must be gender-conscious, with a tilt to correct prevailing gender imbalances in families,” she says.

Law anywhere in India entails a long and bitter struggle, at the end of which the woman gains little or no property rights. Agnes reveals that “endless negotiations” are more common than up-front battles in court. “The man may be desperate for a quick divorce, because he has another woman, who might be pregnant already. In such a situation the wife has some bargaining power. If the husband is really wealthy, she may demand Rs 20 million, he may say he will give Rs 2,00,000; she may come down to Rs 10 million while he may go up to Rs 1 million. The lawyer’s job is to help the woman reach the best compromise.”

Of course, most families in India do not own property at all. What support can women expect from the law, state or civil society in the eventuality of being on their own, with children to look after, no property and no income?

Madhu Mehra, Director of Partners for Law in Development, says, “We have researched the rights of women who live at the margins and are financially dependent. Financially dependent women cannot access any support from the state for their own maintenance or the maintenance of their children. Society severely restricts their choices. In middle-class families when a marriage breaks up, women face stigma. In Rajasthan, under the practice of naata, women or men may leave a marriage and remarry but the children remain with the husband. It is the same in many tribal   communities too.”
Activist Ginny Srivastava, based in Udaipur, Rajasthan, believes that the only way ahead for single women is to unite and fight for their rights. She helped set up Ekal Nari Sangathan, which helps women fight for land and property rights, right to ration cards, pensions, and overall social acceptance and dignity. The collective, according to Srivastava, “has 33,000 members in Rajasthan, mostly women from rural areas, making it the largest people’s organisation in the state”. It has spread beyond Rajasthan to six other Indian states. The Sangathan has registered many victories, entirely due to the courage and fighting spirit of the women. If it’s true that women have no rights until they make them happen, then it appears that women are quite determined to make change happen.

https://www.deccanherald.com/content/132676/give-her-rightfully-hers.html

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     29 January 2011

Do matrimonial laws REALLY FAVOR WOMEN

YES AND ONLY YES.

1 Like

Avnish Kaur (Consultant)     29 January 2011

problem is mixing matrimonial of laws with biased criminal laws.

(Guest)

DO MATRIMONIAL LAWS REALLY FAVOUR WOMEN?

I dont know as i dont have any personal experiences 

What i know is that one cannot get a true win in a court (only 1 or 5 percentage)

Sometimes if favor men ,sometimes it favor women but one cannot sure if he or she will get justice in a court.if someone have a justice in her or his own life then he or she will never come in a court.

1 Like

(Guest)

Laws are ment for justice and men and women are ment for loving or fighting 

And laws is not a legal entity( its made by people) it is run by people thats why someone get justice or injustices

Either accept it or reject it..

Earlier i said,"The right man in the wrong place(and people) can make all the difference in the world."

But if there are many wrong places and people then what you do at that time ?

Only to accept it and try to find a way.

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     30 January 2011

."let find a way"-this is easier said than done!!

@ arup

u sound like a very stubborn and narrow minded person with fixed ideas,which wont change even if the world turns upside down

i am not talking of "cunning" false 498A women here

i am asking if marital laws favour genuine women or not?i repeat....genuine and wronged women

if your answer is still yes,please submit your research based on which you say so

(Guest)

This was echoed by the Supreme Court in Sushil Kumar Sharma versus Union of India and Others. “The object of Section 498A is to prevent dowry menace. But...many instances have come to light where the complaints are not bonafide and...filed with oblique motive. It may become necessary for the legislature to find out ways how the makers of frivolous complaints or allegations can be appropriately dealt with.”

In 2003, the Justice Malimath Committee, submitted a report to the MHA on reforms in the Criminal Justice System, recommended that the Section be made bailable and compoundable to give a chance to the spouses to come together.         

Generally genuine  women dont want to file cases like dv or 498a and if she files their intention is for get justice ,to restore their dignity their matrimonial life and so on but on the other side is so powerful that no one is punished and the real victim dont get justice even after filing the cases .And after that she will get empty hands like  Khaali haath aaye the hum Khaali haath jaayenge.

And its simple if one can make pc useful other will misuse it like hacking ,cracking .The same thing applied to women if she file false cases .

And what are the controlling authority (courts) You cant expect it only some hope like 

Karm kar Fal ki Chinta mat kar

Please watch this;

Tareekh pe tareekh milti rahi hai lekin insaaf nahin milta. Milti hai to sirf tareekh. Kanoon ke dalalon ne tareekh ko ek hathiyar ki tarah istemaal kiya hai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EwH444882c&feature=player_embedded

1 Like

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     30 January 2011

@ arup

arup,if your research(not just statements) are genuine and authentic, you must sue the above newspaper company for publishing misleading articles,so that saintly men like you are liberated(moksha)

such a case will also earn you good money

@ kushan

This is a very very touching video!Thanks for posting it.Your words are also very good.

I wish all Indian lawyers were as passionate and as sincere,as is Sunny Deol in this movie!

Then they also benefit,besides the litigant.

The litigant recommends him to 100s of people all his life,till his last breath.When he wins a case or gets justice,all his friends,relatives,colleagues,family members,neighbours etc who knew that he was into litigation are always eager to know the outcome of his litigation.Obviously they also know the lawyer's name who is handling his case.Naturally when he gets justice with the efforts of his honest lawyer,all these aquaintances are informed that his lawyer was very good.That's why he won.And the instantly gains a lot of respect in the eyes of so many people

A committed lawyer's contribution in his client's life can NEVER be forgotten.He remains indebted to him all his life,while the lawyer who's gained so much popularity by now keeps getting more clients for himself.

Lekha (working)     30 January 2011

Hatts off.... Aishwarya ji, shivani ji, Renuka ji & Mr Ashutosh. Lovely posts , very mature & good one.

Omg such a long conversation. I have read all the posts, and can say hatts off aishwarya, shivani , renuka, & Ashutosh. God bless you people, i loved your posts and i support you.

Iam a 36 yr old married lady got married 14 years back , a mother of two, i have daughters.

1) Iam working because iam the only one who takes care of my daughters , i pay their fess and fulfill their other needs, altough i have a husband and he is working but still he doesn't support me or help me. Why, because he wanted a male child and i gave birth to daughters, so he feels that he has no duty towards them , he is not aware with science . He thinks himself mugambo, ki jo bol diya wohi hona maangta.

2) I reach home by 8-30 or smtimes by 9 pm, but as soon as i reach home i rush to kitchen for cooking, and i wake up at 4_30aam every morning , cook for the whole family, lunch, tiffin for my kids, and husband , and my brother in law. Altough he has his own wife, but as she belongs to a very rich family and have given lot of dowry, on top that she has given birth to a male child so she is a darling daughter in law. So i have to take care of the whole family without any support. After cooking, i clean the whole house, i mean jhaadoo pocha etc , and then at 7-30am i leave for my office. I work like a donkey, at home & office but still my mother in law and family thinks iam not that good and still i can do much more. Actually its the greed jitna doge utna badhega.

3) Iam not allowed to utter a single word against my MIL, because then my husband starts abusing me, altough my MIL keeps my father in law as a dog. She abuses, shouts and if he dare to support me, my MIL attacks him like hell. My MIL & my husband keeps talking about joint family, whereas my MIL herself had deserted her MIL, & family and she had fought with everyone for a seperate accomodation etc, but now she wants a joint family, wow lovely vichaar. She has ruled her own family, and she wants to rule her son's family aswell. All MIL love to do that, wo khud ki shaadi shuda life bhi rule karti hai aur fir apne beto ki bhi karna chahti hai aur karti hai, for them daughter in laws

are such gangu bai's servants.

4) My inlaws never openly demanded dowry but gifts ke naam par mere parents ko kahi ka nai rakha hai, my dad had to break his bonds for my marriage, but still my inlaws are not happy, as they think that the elder daughter inlaw has brought much much more and thats true, look the greed. Whole day she keeps enjoying, with her friends, kitty party's and iam the donkey who works, and even my husband doesn't feel sorry for me. Agar ek din mai bimaar padh jau, then my MIL starts complaining ki drama hai sab she just wants to escape oing household work, no outings, no resturants nothing for me, because my MIL feels unke bete ka paisa kharch hoga, infact my husband doesn't give a single penny in my hand, all these years after marriage, my husband handover his salary to his mom, and agar mujhe kuch chahiye i have to go to ask that from my mother in law. so this is joint family concept.

5) Iam sorry this is too personal but its a fact, at night i become so tired that i feel like having a sound sleep, but my husband forces me to have s*x with him, that too like some p*rn star, and if i refuse him on some particular day, he starts abusing me, threatning me that he will go for extra marital affairs etc. So many men who think that men doesn't force wifes or rapes, please read this. They very much force wifes & even at times they rape. My second child was a resultof rape, and later my husband had abused and blamed me for that.

Iam suffering all these from last 14 years, but still living with him & his selfish family, because i cannot go anywhere, my parents are no more, i have responsibilty of my kids, and my salary is not that much . i feel like dying but iam helpless for my kids. I know very well my husband has

no feelings for me, but i don't have that much money to file a divorce case. My husband doesn't even buy me a plate of paani puri, and if he does he asks his mom first. And iam living this fake life for my kids . and i pray to god that please call me , but secure my daughters lives.

So i will conclude, ki jab ek aurat ghar ke saare kaam donkey ki tarah karti hai, bina ek word bole, saari galatiya bhi nazar andaaz kar de, bilkul deaf & dump ki tarah ,apni saari khushiyo ko bhool jaye apne maa baap ko bhi, tab wo wife bohot hi achi kehlaati hai aur aisi bechari aurto se hi joint families chalti hai. Par jaha apne hakk ke liye ek aurat apna mooh kholti hai bas wahi usse duniya bhar ki gaaliya dekar, homebreaker bolkar nikaal diya jaata hai. MEN NEVER MARRY TO GET A LOVING PARTNER , THEY MARRY TO GIFT THEIR MOMS A BONDED LABOUR, AND MEN GET A BONUS FOR FREE SEX, ANYTIME WITH NO EXPIRY, AND TOO WITH FREE GIFTS, THAT IS CHILDREN. i PITY SUCH LOSER MEN, AND PRAY THAT THEIR WIVES CAN FILE AS MANY CASES THEY CAN AND RUIN THEIR HUSBANDS LIVES, When you torture a person to that level, then its obvious that the person will come to bite you hard.

2 Like

Lekha (working)     30 January 2011

Till the time we keep licking our inlaws feets and work like donkeys, we are good daughter in laws else we are home breakers, witches. And the day we dare to say something about our fundamental rights that very day we are thrown out or abused like hell.

Traditions ke naam par , we females are treated like donkey's and tamed pets.

As if we are born to do seva and work like donkey for our pati parmeshwars and inlaws. we don't have nay other things to do.

By the way all these disgusting rules are made by males, because our society is very much male dominant and everything hasbeen done according to their comfort level. we get married and then go to our husband's house as bonded labours and free fun s*x entertainment. Thats the only picture men has in their minds. Some men like Ashutosh etc are far farmore mature, and sophisticated and iam sure the girl who will marry you will be a lucky lady.  And rest other egositic men will keep cribbing about females, because their wives have fled and filed cases. If you will provoke someone then its obvious, no woman wants to break her house , and takes it as a pride. No woman will like to get physically used and then leave the house and go, taking such a step means a lot. virginty is still a taboo, so why will a lady loose her virginty and then walk out from her marriage.  No girl does that, very few exceptions are their.

2 Like

Ambika (NA)     30 January 2011

so truly expressed ...keep it up Lekha...

Sandeep (Engineer)     30 January 2011

From Sandeep Bhartia ( President www.ghrs.in). 9971117829

All laws are against husnands. They have no choise but to keep up with daily torture of wife. Wife gets child coustody. Divorce for husband is almost impossible to get. Maintenance 1/3 salary for wife is almost always given , significat for child of course. Husband has to fight arrest without investigation 498a.  His house is gone in the new law of DV.  Wife prctically gets divorce by threats of arrest to husbands family etc. SHe get child, she gets not only her owned home but also now husbands owned home, even if she is earning more then the husband. Wifes usually never spent a single penny from her sallary even if she is earning more husband can not do anything.

This article is full of factual lies . These are writen since lots of money is available to write such articles, do such biased surveys. No funding is there to tell a mans prospective, or prospective of non faminists women who want to have any kind of relations with men.  

Of the women who owned vehicles before marriage (car, scooter/ motorcycle or bicycle), in 46 per cent cases she or her parents had bought the vehicle. Yet, a whopping majority of the vehicles — 77 per cent — remained with the male spouse after the break up.

>>>>>(Total lie)

“The man may be desperate for a quick divorce, because he has another woman, who might be pregnant already

>>>>( Total lie in almost all cases)

but the children remain with the husband. It is the same in many tribal   communities too.” >>>>( Total lie in most cases)

The ERF’s 250-page report, entitled ‘Economic rights and entitlements of separated and divorced women’, states: “In India, in the absence of any laws for division of marital property, when a separation or divorce takes place the male spouse/ husband usually walks away with all the moveable and immovable assets of the household.”

>>>>>This is a total lie.  Anyways the articles cost is relatively very less, if she leaves the house. This is offset in maintenance. A large noumber of wifes are throwing husbands out of houses, it is her choise only. Husband has no choise.

All laws are totally biased against men and any women who wants to have a relation with men. Do not comment if you do not know the ground reality of distruction of husbands life, in case any matrimonial disagreement.

All laws are against man so wrong, this is leading to their lifes getting destroyed. SO harming everyone.  

First make Maintenance laws as gender neutral.  Allow man to ask for maintenance in Domestic Violence and 125CrPC. 

First give 50% coustody to fathers.

Stop blackmail for money by arrest without investigation 498 etc.

This article is just a funded feminists article full of lies.

>>>>>(Total lie)

“The man may be desperate for a quick divorce, because he has another woman, who might be pregnant already

>>>>( Total lie in almost all cases)

but the children remain with the husband. It is the same in many tribal   communities too.” >>>>( Total lie in most cases)

Or is this favouritism only on paper?

>>>>( No mens lifes are getting destroyed all around. )

What about corruption and loopholes in law,esp. when the boy's parties try to influence the girls' lawyers,police officers etc so that they don't support harassed women in court..

>>>>( What about when Gists side try to influence the boys lawyer, what are you talking about ?)

secondly,do laws really favour poor/jobless women who can't afford lawyers' fees,not to mention delayed court proceedings,regular leaves taken by judges,the rude attitude of police officers when women go there to file complaints against their abusive husbands/inlaws,,adjournments taken by the boy's party to delay the cases,etc.
>>> ( delays harm the husbands more, their full life is destroyed, wifes make marry by taking child coustody, filing false criminal cases , you want husband to lose job standing in court every day, go to court with a husband first)

then we have idiotic laws where a deserted married woman's hubby isn't taken to task when he deserts her & even if he has a second marriage,his "second" wife is also given the status of a "wife" as in case of giving her maintenance and if they have children,they too have the right to his property.....

>>>>( You mean to say When a wife deserts her it is she is escaping a violent marriage, if a husband deserts he is at falt what logic please think ? ) Second marriage is illegal in hindus at least , so I do not understand the question )

a woman is already upset that her home is breaking and when she needs legal support to give her justice,she encounters all the above problems....no woman is willing to break her home.....circumstances drive her to the court/police where she is forced to go when tortures she faces become unbearable..
>>> ( The condition of man with all laws against his is much much worse., women is on her ego trip of all I say is a word of god I have legal powers to destroy husband )

so i doubt that all women get justice in such a pathetic indian judiciary with these unfriendly laws.....
>>>> ( joke almost all laws are agains husbands)

so y do people say"laws only favor women/women misuse the laws"?when the judiciary's pathetic state makes them further depressed n frustrated.....

>>>> ( Judiciary is totally against man they also read funded feminists writers controlled press, find a little truth.)

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register