LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

esh (n/a)     15 December 2007

Divorce by mutual consent

Iam a married working lady living away from husband for more than a year.
If divorce by mutual consent is filed,when can i get the divorce.
if after six months,if iam not in INDIA ,though i agree for Divorce by mutual consent,what is the way to get it done? If iam not in INDIA to appear in person for the 18 month period also,is there way to get it done?


 3 Replies

bupesh (n/a)     15 December 2007

You can file the mutual consent petition along with application for waiver of the 6 monts period. If not, you presence is necessary at the time of granting mutual consent as your evidence (statement) would be recorded by teh judge before granting divorce.

Shambasiv (n/a)     28 January 2008

[font=""tahoma""]Section 13B[/font][color=""#000000""][font=""tahoma""] - [/font][/color][font=""tahoma""] [color=""#808000""]Divorce by mutual consent [/color][/font][color=""#000000""][font=""tahoma""]:- [/font][/color][list=1][*][color=""#000000""][font=""tahoma""]Subject to the provisions of this Act a petition for dissolution of marriage by decree of divorce may be presented to the district court by both the parties to a marriage together, whether such marriage was solemnized before or after the commencement of the marriage Laws (Amendment) Act 1976 (68 of 1976), on the ground that they have been living separately for a period of one year or more, that they have not been able to live together and that they have mutually agreed that the marriage should be dissolved. [/font][/color] [/*][*][color=""#000000""][font=""tahoma""]On the motion of both the parties made not earlier than six months after the date of the presentation of the petition referred to in sub-section (1) and not later than eighteen months after the said date, if the petition is not withdrawn in the meantime, the court shall, on being satisfied, after hearing the parties and after making such inquiry as it thinks fit, that a marriage has been solemnized and that the averments in the petition are true, pass a decree of divorce declaring the marriage to be dissolved with effect from the date of the decree. [/font][/color][/*][*][font=""tahoma""] The parties can seek divorce by mutual consent by filing a petition before the court. After the filing of the petition and recording the statement of both the parties, the court generally adjourns the matter for a period of 6 months where after the party has to again approach the court for making a second motion confirming the mutual consent earlier given in the petitioner filed by them. It is only after this second motion is made that a decree of the divorce is granted by the court. During this period of 6 months when the petition is pending , any of the spouse is fully entitled to withdraw the mutual consent. In such an eventuality no divorce decree can granted by the court. The consent can be withdrawn during this period of 6 months by either of the spouse, by filing an application before the court stating that he/she does not wish to seek divorce by mutual consent. The court is bound under such circumstances not to grant a decree of divorce. There is no option available to the other party to such circumstances except to file a normal petition for divorce under the provisions of the Section 13 of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1950 . In such a situation divorce can be granted only on certain specified grounds as mentioned in the said provision . These grounds include cruelty; desertion; voluntary sexual inter-course with another person; the other spouse being of unsound mind; conversion of religion by the other spouse; Leprosy; venereal disease; a spouse having renounced the world or being missing for a period of more than 7 years.[/font][/*][/list]

surilko (n/a)     05 February 2008

Look it depends upon your lawyer. If your lawyer is good then both the motions in court can be done on same day. Or may be it takes 2 weeks time.......... But again you have to clear all this to your laywer before, as he have to make preparations....



Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register